Jordin Sparks drops highly anticipated 'Right Here Right Now'

Jordin Sparks has dominated as the notorious girl-next-door since she became the youngest winner of "American Idol" in 2007. The star has been widely praised for her family-friendly, age-appropriate music, but this new LP shows her in a new light. “Right Here Right Now,” an album six years in the making, highlights Sparks' stark vocals while simultaneously showcasing some pretty catchy beats and heavy bass.

Featured on the album are B.o.B, 2 Chainz and Shaggy — an obvious sign that Sparks' newest work has taken a far more sensual turn. Though she has garnered millions of fans over the years, it will be hard for most to accept this drastic change in her music.

“Work From Home” begins the album with an infectious beat that lingers throughout the remaining hits. B.o.B. presents a surprisingly refreshing riff, which highly compliments the smooth tone that Sparks has worked so hard to achieve.

“Double Tap” aims to be the album’s club anthem, even though the content describes an Instagram creep. As a song concept it is slightly off-putting, but overall it gives fans a fun R&B tune.

Although this album is definitely a step in the right direction for Sparks and her career, it features a few less than spectacular tracks. “Casual Love” and “100 Years” slow the album down, but they both fail to display her desirable range. Her delivery is off, and she does not sound at all like the girl we’ve grown to love and admire.

“Right Here Right Now” is something new from Sparks that has both hits and misses. With some sultry tracks and impressive production value, this LP will impress many fans. The only downside is that it feels like Sparks has yet to find her perfect musical sound.