SC Hispanic Outreach turns Main Street into fiesta

From 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, Latin music blasted proudly from the far corners of Main Street. 

The Main Street Latin Festival showcased the sheer enthusiasm of Columbia’s Latin community. Thousands of people gathered to try the various foods, listen to Reggaeton and Grupero music and mingle with the many workers, performers and attendees.

“I love how so many different people are coming together; it’s beautiful to see so much diversity,” second-year business student Matthew Phelan said. “There’s a lot to eat and try, and I’ve been having a really great time here. The music is amazing.”

The streets were filled with people from an number of backgrounds, all talking, laughing and simply enjoying themselves.

Supported by South Carolina Hispanic Outreach, it felt almost necessary to obtain as much knowledge of the Latino culture as possible — which certainly was not hard to do.

Upon turning onto Main Street, visitors were greeted with the many sights and scents relative to the Latino community and culture. One could either browse the various shop tents flaunting Puerto Rican style T-shirts and clothing items or enjoy a warm empanada, taco or a plate of rellenos de papas.

The musical aspect of the festival is what ultimately stole the show and drew the biggest crowd. Patty Padilla, Bachata Urbana, Orlando Feliciano and Herman Olivera all performed throughout the day — each giving a spectacular act for the families and fans to listen to.

A large van situated at the end of the street also featured a live speaker and glass cases containing items belonging to past Latin Grammy winners.

The festival was everything one would expect and more, boasting a mutual understanding between all the cultures involved and promoting a fun and eccentric atmosphere. From the hip-shaking tunes to the mouth-watering food selection, the Main Street Latin Festival will be talked about for days to come. It’s a fiesta to look forward to next year.