Tuesday practice notes: Adams returns to practice

The Gamecocks held their last full practice Tuesday night before Thursday’s showdown in Charlotte with North Carolina.

Head coach Steve Spurrier said the team would have a short practice Wednesday afternoon before leaving for Charlotte later that day.

Being the last full practice, the players that worked with the first-team offense and defense will most likely be Thursday’s starters. South Carolina released a tentative depth chart Sunday, but that could be subject to change due to injuries or performance.

Adams Back on the Practice Field

Senior tight end Jerell Adams returned to the practice field on Tuesday just a day after it was announced the Pinewood, South Carolina, product would be doubtful for the season opener. Adams strained his hamstring last week and had not participated in any of the previous three practices.

Adams is a key component of the young offense. Backed up by three freshmen, losing Adams would be a huge blow for the Gamecocks. He was not limited in practice and figures to be available for Thursday’s game.

Junior linebacker Jonathan Walton and redshirt junior offensive lineman Cody Walrop also returned to practice Thursday. All three are listed as probable for Thursday’s game.

Defensive Lineup Set

Co-defensive coordinator Jon Hoke confirmed Tuesday that redshirt junior Chaz Elder has, in fact, transitioned from strong safety to cornerback.

The six-foot-two, 209-pounder was slated to backup transfer Isaiah Johnson at safety, but was listed as a starting cornerback on Sunday’s depth chart.

“[Elder’s] a good athlete and obviously you like his height and his length,” Hoke said. “We wanted to see what he looked like (at cornerback).”

All fall, sophomore Chris Lammons was expected to start at the cornerback position, and has practiced well this preseason. Primarily a man-coverage corner in high school, Lammons has adjusted well to Hoke’s new scheme, which has the secondary playing mostly zone.

Lammons, now listed as Elder’s backup, will get plenty of playing time on Thursday against a North Carolina team that threw the ball over 500 times last season.

Redshirt junior Rico McWilliams will start opposite of Elder at cornerback.

New Numbers, New Positions

Sophomore cornerback Al Harris Jr. announced Monday that he would be trading in his number 31 for the number 7. 

Harris’ father, long-time NFL cornerback Al Harris, wore 31 with both the Packers and the Rams. Harris Jr. is set to backup McWilliams this season. The former three-star recruit had an up and down year last season, but could play a lot this season against many of the SEC’s spread offenses.

Junior college transfer Ulric Jones will be moving from defensive tackle to offensive tackle, Spurrier announced Tuesday on his call-in show.

Concerned with a lack of depth on the offensive side of the ball, Spurrier decided to move the fourth-string defensive tackle on Tuesday.

“He's a big, strong kid. Long arms,” Spurrier said. “[Offensive line] coach [Shawn] Elliott believes he'll be ready to help us, maybe next week. We moved him over today. Heck, we may get an offensive line number on him and he may play somewhere this week."

Redshirt senior Brandon Shell and redshirt junior Mason Zandi will start at the tackle positions. However, they are being backed up by a pair of true freshmen in Christian Pellage and Blake Camper.

Television Update

Thursday night’s game in Charlotte will be broadcast on ESPN at 6:00 p.m. as part of the network’s College Football Kickoff double-header.