In Our Opinion: Fraternities should be held to higher standards

As Monday came to a close, it was announced that 13 of the 19 fraternities at the university had been suspended from recruitment. It is alleged that they violated rules on alcohol and risk management, although specific charges have not yet been discussed.

Our initial reaction, surely shared by many others, was more bemused than surprised. Alcohol and stupid risks at a fraternity event? Well, what do you expect? That reaction, upon closer inspection, is wrong, offensive and a bit frightening. To start with, it perpetuates a variety of stereotypes about fraternities that assume that all chapters and their members behave like "Animal House" extras. And more importantly, it implies that some dangerous or illegal behavior is accepted.

The alcohol policy makes sense — a majority of PNMs are likely underage, meaning that the presence of alcohol at a recruiting event would constitute a mass-violation of both university policies and actual laws. It's a reasonable rule that shouldn't be flouted by the majority of our school's fraternities.

While it would be easy to express feigned shock that questionable decisions and alcohol are a part of Greek life, that attitude of condoning otherwise unacceptable behavior under a “boys will be boys” defense needs to go. Sororities have a strictly enforced dry recruitment, and it's time for fraternities to follow suit. We tentatively support this crackdown because it demonstrates that the university is serious and fraternities must be held to, at minimum, reasonable standards that ensure laws are followed and safety is ensured.

Beyond that, fraternities should take steps to police themselves so that the stereotypes surrounding them eventually fade. Fraternities have the potential to be serious forces for bettering men and improving campus, but in order to have that reputation, they will need to be held to high enough standards to deserve it.