Fall 2015: Hot Trendz

It’s September, so we’re all starting to get into the groove of regular fall schoolwork (sigh). However to many of us, nothing would be more tragic than completely losing touch with the pop culture outside of campus. This week we’re focusing on some vintage styles that are being brought back to life. Read about a few fashion trends to keep an eye out for … but keep in mind that some should be watched from a distance.

High-Waisted Pants

OK, OK, so you probably already know about this trend to an extent; young people everywhere have been bringing back the vintage high-waisted look for years now. But recently this trend is showing up in more than just cut-off jean shorts — celebrities such as Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens and the Jenner sisters have all been seen wearing belly-button-covering pants of every color and shape. And despite the fact that these are '80s level waistlines, these ladies are not stealing the pants from their moms’ wardrobes. In fact, there are countless new styles of high-waisted pants that look good on all kinds of body types. So go out and buy yourself a pair of flowy, printed hippie pants, colored skinny jeans or wide-leg slacks and rock them all!

Half-Up Bun / Party Pony

Alright ladies, it’s time someone said it. This lazy hairstyle (you know the one — you put the top half of your hair in a bun or tiny little ponytail and let the rest trail behind) is finally being recognized as something other than bedhead. It’s easy, it’s cute and it can be casual or a tiny bit fancy. Don’t get me wrong — you probably shouldn’t wear this 'do out to church with your boyfriend’s grandparents, but you can look totally chic for a night downtown or a day relaxing at the pool. You can even bring back yet another vintage aspect: the scrunchie! Pro: thick hair can get hot and moving half of it out of the way can be both cute and a relief. Con: more often than not, that once-perfect little bun will frizz and / or tumble in the South Carolina heat. So if you’re going to try this style, keep an eye on your hair before it gets totally out of control.

Bralettes

Why hasn’t everyone been wearing these forever? After the '70s, everyone seemed to take a huge break from comfy clothes for a few decades, but thank God it’s all back. Wear one of these wire-free, breathable undergarments any day (or every day) of the week. Wear it with your gameday dress. Wear it downtown. Get them in a hundred colors and wear them under every T-shirt and tank top you own. This is one popular trend that is going to be pretty hard to resist, because people are finally giving up on the “beauty is pain” mentality. You can dress up an outfit by adding a bralette underneath a shirt that would otherwise be showing a ton of skin or ugly bra straps. Flirty and hip!

Eyebrow Cuts

Last but definitely not least, we have a trend that was made popular decades ago by rappers and hip-hop artists, namely Big Daddy Kane and, more recently, Bow Wow and Soulja Boy. The millennial generation is revamping vintage styles once again, and this time they're shaving lines into their eyebrows as a fashion statement. Whether it’s one or two straight lines or some kind of angled masterpiece, this trend can be anything from an eyebrow fade to a full on art form. Some people (yes, men AND women) make it look totally rad, but those people have insane amounts of time on their hands to maintain their eyebrow perfection. For most of us, this is a skill to be admired from afar, but not personally attempted. However, if you want to try it, there are hundreds of videos online to teach you how to obtain sick '90s eyebrow game. Good luck.