Lewis leads overhauled defensive front

Last season, the Gamecocks had an unusually subpar showing at defensive line. What once was a strong suit became the downfall for the defensive coordinator. In the past, the likes of Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Chaz Sutton and Kelcy Quarles dominated the trenches. 

In 2012, the Gamecocks lead the SEC in total sacks at 43, five more than next best, and in 2013 ranked seventh in total sacks with 25. Additionally, certain star individuals stepped up. Clowney was second in the SEC for sacks in 2012 (13) and Quarles took third in 2013 (10).

However, last season, no South Carolina players were anywhere near the SEC sack list. In fact, not one Gamecock eclipsed the top 40; the leader in sacks for the team was converted safety Jordan Diggs at a mere two sacks. As a team, they had 14 sacks all season — dead last in the conference.

The newcomers are here to save the day. Combined with those returning, they will arguably make up the deepest and most complete aspect of head coach Steve Spurrier’s team.

For starters, South Carolina’s newest staff member, co-defensive coordinator Jon Hoke, will relieve some of the pressure that co-defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward felt last season. Though they share a title, Hoke will be in charge of the backs while Ward will oversee the line and linebackers. Ward welcomes the opportunity to focus on the line with the help of defensive line coach Deke Adams.

“We need two sets of eyes on the front four, because I think that is important,” Ward said. “You’re only going to be as good as your front four.”

As for the players, seven new defensive linemen joined the Gamecocks in the offseason. Sophomore defensive tackle Dante Sawyer, a JUCO transfer, garnered 6.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for a loss for East Mississippi Community College last season, earning him a four-star ranking from most media outlets. He is expected to start on the same side as junior Marquavius Lewis, who is thought to have a starting spot on the team ever since he signed his name to play for South Carolina. 

Lewis transferred from Hutchinson Community College where he was regarded as the best JUCO player in the country. Even freshmen Dexter Wideman, Boosie Whitlow and Shameik Blackshear are expected to work their way into the rotation as newbies. Either way, Ward expects the newcomers to make an impact immediately.

“We have high expectations for them,” Ward said. “We recruited them, and we feel that all those guys can come in and help us, especially where we need help, especially up front. They are athletic, they can move around, they had a good summer working with (strength and conditioning coach) Joe (Connolly), and it will be interesting to see when we get in pads.”

Even with all the new Gamecocks, those who have been on the team are still expected to get plenty of play time.

Redshirt senior Cedrick Cooper, after an injury-filled junior season, owns the starter spot opposite Lewis at defensive end. Backing him up is redshirt junior Darius English, who Spurrier says looks like an All-American. 

English played in 12 games last season and recorded his first solo sack against Georgia. Also, Gerald Dixon Jr. returns to the rotation after holding down the fort at end last year with 42 tackles to add to his two sacks.

At defensive tackle, Dixon will reclaim his starting spot at one of the tackles. The 6-3 Rock Hill native started in 12 out of 13 games in 2014 and racked up 29 tackles, forced a fumble and blocked two kicks. In the second slot, redshirt senior Phillip Dukes will see regular action for the third year in a row. 

Sophomore Taylor Stallworth will back up Sawyer and will roll the momentum he gained at the end of last season (six tackles in the final three games) into this year.

With the new guys sprinkled into those returning, Spurrier will have a much deeper and complete team than last year.