"Easy Mac with the cheesy raps" strikes again with newfound artistry

Mac Miller is back and better than ever with his first studio album in two years. With 17 songs and more than an hour of raw material, "GO:OD AM" is exactly what you would expect from the notorious bad boy — a collection of diverse tracks that seamlessly blend together. 

His lyricism has become more potent, though, and it's clear that this album was fueled by more than just his infamous misuse of drugs and alcohol. Mac Miller wants to be taken seriously as a top dog in the rap game, and this is his greatest attempt yet.

"Doors" starts off the album on a high note. Produced by fellow rap fiend and friend Tyler the Creator, it broadcasts an elegant synth layered with some pretty powerful lyrics including "It's only a game, don't be afraid / These doors will close, and people change." This song was obviously meant to intrigue listeners because it is a stark contrast to Mac Miller's usual, loud rambling.

Miller continues to set the bar high with "Brand Name," produced by ID Labs. This hit is all about smooth transitions and switching flows, but Miller certainly keeps up. With a heavy breakdown that leads into a quiet last couple of seconds, this is a perfect preface for what's to come.

The real magic appears with "Rush Hour." Miller has finally found his own unique style — no longer will he be referred to as Eminem's younger brother. "Rush Hour" features Miller spitting some nasty rhymes while he emphasizes how important it is to do everything for you and only you. Inspirational, yet perfect for getting down and dirty. Fans should love his new and improved artistry.

"Weekend," a later track that features soul artist Miguel is one for the radio. Miguel plays guitar while Miller continues to boast his newfound lyric abilities. "Battling these demons / Wondering what's the thing that keeps me breathing / Is it money, fame or neither?"

"GO:OD AM" is a musically adventurous album for Miller, and it shows just how happy he is to have made it this far in the industry. No longer is he this playful figure we see smoking weed and partying any chance he gets — he has finally buckled down and created something magical. 

Mature, thoughtful and calculated, this piece of art proves Miller's worthiness as a true hip hop contender.