Parents Weekend- Finlay Park, the largest and most visited park in Columbia

Columbia boasts many beautiful visitor's attractions, but Finlay Park takes the cake. With 18 acres of land, Finlay park is the most visited park in the downtown Columbia area — for obvious reasons.

The park features two playground areas, sparkling blue waterfalls, a man-made lake and a stunning view of Columbia. It is also one of the largest handicapped accessible parks in the country. There is a snack bar open during the summer, and various festivals and parades are proudly held there. It has even been the center of several political rallies over the years.

Driving down the well-known Assembly Street, Finlay Park is just a few blocks away. It is situated right across the street from the Governor's Mansion. Among the concrete and industrial buildings, Finlay Park is a haven for Columbia natives and nature lovers alike.

Named after Kirkman Finlay, the former mayor of Columbia, this park is a symbol of the sheer amount of effort that went into renovating our city and giving it new life. Finlay economically aided the city by re-energizing the Vista and Main Street. There is a stone statue of Finlay sitting on a bench near one of the most stunning works of art in the area.

The Finlay Park Fountain is an unusual spiral fountain that sits in the middle of the outdoor oasis. The 27-foot fountain was completed in 1991, much to the delight of the city.

Along with the park itself, the spiral fountain is a must-see for visitors. The beauty of Columbia is unmatched by any other city in South Carolina, and it deserves to be recognized and appreciated.