Week 3 High School Football Roundup

After a perfect 2-0 record last week, I’ve brought my average up to 80 percent. We saw Mallard Creek squeeze by a very good Butler team and watched Clemson commit Tavien Feaster and Spartanburg pull away from Wakulla (Florida) in the second half to win big.

This week, I’ll have another bonus pick to even out my record (And because there’s a border battle that I couldn’t pass up).

Week 2 Record: 2-0

Overall Record: 4-1

North Carolina

#5 Charlotte Christian @ #8 Weddington

Charlotte Christian, the alma mater of NBA MVP Stephen Curry, comes into this game two weeks removed from a tough 5-0 win against Charlotte Catholic. The 0-1 Knights will take on my alma mater, 2-0 Weddington. The Warriors, led by defensive guru Tim Carson, have stifled opposing offenses this year.

Traditionally a relatively poor football school, Weddington hired Carson in 2011, and the coach has taken the Warriors to new heights. Last season, the Warriors lost in the state championship game to South Carolina commit C.J. Freeman and the Northern Guilford Nighthawks.

The Warriors were down 13-0 entering the fourth quarter of their first game, a 30-13 win over Ardrey Kell. In their last five quarters, the Warriors have outscored opponents 89-13.

In a low scoring game, I’m picking my Warriors to win on a late field goal by Keith Duncan.

Prediction: Weddington 16 Charlotte Christian 13

South Carolina

#4 Dorman @ #9 Greenwood

Two AAAA Region I powerhouses clash this week as Dorman takes on Greenwood. Greenwood is coming off a 24-10 victory against the traditionally dominant Dutch Fork Silver Foxes last week but will go up against an even tougher Dorman team this week.

Dorman is led by three-star quarterback Collin Hill. A Colorado State commit, Hill is 43-66 with 498 yards and six touchdowns through two games this year.

The Greenwood secondary is one of the top defensive backfields in the state, so all eyes will be on the Dorman passing game in this one. I don’t think the Eagles have quite enough firepower on offense to keep up with Dorman though, who’s experience will help win this one.

Prediction: Dorman 34 Greenwood 27

BONUS: NC vs. SC

#1 Mallard Creek (North Carolina) @ #3 Byrnes (South Carolina)

The biggest interstate matchup of the year will take place Friday. Mallard Creek, ranked No. 50 nationally, will take on No. 157 Byrnes.

Before the year, experts doubted Mallard Creek’s ability to repeat as state champions, pointing to a brutal schedule. Now it looks as if the Panthers’ schedule isn’t tough enough. The Panthers blew out traditional power Independence, 58-6 and then had enough talent to overcome a sloppy game against a great Butler team and still win by two touchdowns.

Byrnes on the other hand mounted a second half comeback against Northwestern (Rock Hill) and then easily took down Hanna (Yes, Radio’s school) last week, 42-21.

No disrespect to Byrnes, but Mallard Creek looks unbeatable.

Prediction: Mallard Creek 37 Byrnes 21

Recruit Watch:

Conway’s Bryan Edwards recorded four receptions for 100 yards and a touchdown last week in just under two quarters of play in a 55-0 blowout. He has played well this season despite constant double and even triple-coverage.

Four-star quarterback Brandon Mcllwain is in action Friday against Perkiomen Valley High School. The football and baseball commit has not yet decided whether or not he will leave school in December and enroll a semester early at South Carolina.

Four-star running back Elijah Holyfield announced at noon that he is committing to Georgia. The son of heavyweight boxer Evander Holyfield had South Carolina in his top five but was not expected to commit to the Gamecocks.