Homecoming "tailored" to help support community

When South Carolina faces off against Vanderbilt on Oct. 17, crowds of cheering supporters will occup the seats of Williams-Brice Stadium. But for the handful of days leading up to the widely anticipated game, South Carolina students will bask in a week’s long cluster of festivities and celebrations, thrown within the unrivaled fashion that has captivated South Carolina’s Fall Homecoming over the years.

The week-long celebration rides on the heels of a series of inclement weather and excessive rainfalls, which last weekend resulted in considerable water damages, and in the most drastic cases, floods — throughout the state.

With all academic and extracurricular activities resuming on campus Monday after five days of emergency postponement, the Homecoming committee launched its official fall line-up with a Kick-Off celebration outside of Russell House.

Homecoming Commissioner and Director and third-year visual communications student Maria Sturmer led the celebration on Greene Street — bull-horn in hand and South Carolina pride unfurling from her enthusiasm. The Kick-Off launched at 11 a.m. and quickly rose in popularity among passersby when students noticed they could stop in for free music, refreshments, confectionaries and USC merchandise on the house.

Students could also opt-in for the visual and charitable campaigns sponsored by the Homecoming Commission in their overarching aims of nurturing communities and students affected by the storms.

Other activities in the Homecoming lineup will include a dance competition on Tuesday Oct. 13, a student trivia showdown on Wednesday Oct. 14, and the “There’s No Place Like Carolina” closing celebration on Friday, the night before the game.

With all the high-spirited activities planned for the week, USC will surely feel like home once more.

As utilities are returned to the campus and students re-engage in academic throttle, many will also cash in on the Homecoming perks. Transitioning back may not seem so difficult after all.