Johnson looking to make the most of her final games as a Gamecock

The lights at Eugene E. Stone III Stadium have never been brighter for the Lady Gamecocks. In the past three seasons, the women’s soccer team has gone from 7-10-4 in 2012 to 17-4-2 in 2013 and finished last year with a 14-6-5 record, a trip to the NCAA tournament quarterfinals (the first in school history) and matched the program’s highest ever final ranking as the ninth-best team in the nation.

Coming into this season, the Gamecocks had the task of replacing starters at several key positions, namely Sabrina D’Angelo at goalkeeper, the only two-time First-Team All-American in school history. People were wondering if this year’s team could build off of last year’s performance.

Then the Gamecocks shot out to a 11-2-1 start. Already more than halfway to their win total of a season ago, the team has defied expectations and set themselves on a course for a repeat appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Despite the loss of last year’s big players, the Gamecocks did bring back their smallest, and arguably most important, player. Senior forward Raina Johnson has quietly scored three goals and assisted on four more so far this season. Simply watching Johnson move around the field at warp speed game after game could inspire fans to buy a gym membership for themselves and find out her training routine. 

Coming in at 5-foot flat, Johnson’s slight stature has not hampered her from making a big impact in the box score. Even larger may be her impact on her fellow players. Her style of play fits perfectly with what the coaching staff asks of the team’s forwards, and Johnson leads by example.

“[Associate Head Coach Jamie Smith] asks the forwards to give a good 15, 20, 25 minutes and give as much as you can, work as hard as you can,” junior forward Daija Griffin said.

Being a perfect example for the other forwards when it comes to playing hard happens naturally for the scrappy Johnson.

“I can’t just play soft. I have to play bigger than I am,” Johnson said.

Johnson comes from a family of athletic prowess. Her father and uncle both played baseball at the University of Florida and her older brother played soccer at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Hailing from Charlotte, North Carolina, Johnson was a highly recruited player who considered local schools like Davidson and University of North Carolina at Charlotte, as well as some west coast schools such as University of California at Santa Barbara before settling on South Carolina and the short trip to school down I-77.

“USC just had the most welcoming environment as a whole school, and the most family vibe that I got from any team,” Johnson said.

Since arriving on campus Johnson has been a fixture in the lineup appearing in 17 games as a freshman. Johnson emerged as a sophomore, starting 22 of 23 games and leading the team with 10 goals, then started every game last year in what could be considered South Carolina’s best season ever.

This season, Johnson is not on pace to top her goal total from her sophomore campaign. She has just four goals, including two game winners, but she is second on the team with five assists. But stats are not something Johnson worries about.

The Gamecocks look primed for another deep run in the tournament this season, but there are still games to be played. South Carolina has several home games left on the schedule. Fans should make their way to Stone Stadium as many times as possible before it’s too late.

Johnson has been scorching opponents for over three years. Yet even she cannot outrun time.

Her four years in the program are almost spent. Come to a game. Cheer on the Lady Gamecocks. Take in one of the most special players to ever wear the garnet and black. If she is moving too fast to see her on the field, check the box score. She will show up there.