New Brookland Tavern to host comedy/music flood relief show

The past week of flooding in Columbia has been trying and destructive, but it has also seen the community come together. Citizens and businesses alike are finding new and creative ways to help get the city back on its feet. 

The New Brookland Tavern, bar and music venue, plans to host a “Music & Comedy Flood Benefit Show” Monday at 6:30 p.m.

Comedians John Gibson and Thomas Ray joined forces to host this event. 

“We, as artists, claim Columbia as our home town, so this was the right thing to do,” Gibson said. “The community supports all of our shows, so it’s time for us to support the community.”

The show will benefit citizens of Columbia in more ways than one. Proceeds will go to victims of the flood through United Way of the Midlands, but attendees can also enjoy some much-needed entertainment. 

“I think we could all use some good music and a few laughs right now,” Gibson said. 

Music will be provided by local artists David A., Pedro LDV, fk.mt., Fishing Journal, Pillow Talk and Tomato Season. Comedians Jenn Snyder, Aundre, Joe Coughlin, Thomas Ray, Wayne Cousins, Joey Massaro and Phil Carter will also be performing.

Gibson expects about 150 to 200 people in attendance. This could mean a great deal for the community, as all monetary donations, including ticket revenue, will go to United Way of the Midlands to support victims of the flood. 

“Columbia and the people that live here are my family. You take care of family, it’s just what you do,” Gibson said.

Additionally, attendees can bring household items like toilet paper, towels, blankets, diapers and other cleaning materials or toiletries. These supplies will go to Harvest Hope Food Bank. 

Tickets cost $5 for attendees over 21 and $8 for those under 21. However, if you show up with an item to donate, you will receive $2 off your ticket. For those who cannot make it to the show but are interested in showing their support, you can donate at https://www.uway.org/donate-now.