USC provides window to other countries

Where can you experience 106 countries without ever leaving USC's campus? Maxcy College. Maxcy is USC’s international residence hall and is home to many of the 1,441 international students who have chosen USC to diversify their education by studying abroad.  

Built in the 1930s, many people know that Maxcy’s name honors Jonathan Maxcy, the University’s first president. However, many people do not know it was originally planned to be the student union and, for many years, housed administrative offices.

One way USC brings the international community to college students is through International Education Week. Since 2004, USC has offered International Education Week (IEW) as a joint project with the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Education. IEW showcases our many international students, USC students who have studied abroad and the many diverse cultures represented at USC. It encapsulates our university’s goal to become a Global Carolina.

Exchange students come to USC from a wide range of countries, from Denmark to Hong Kong to Italy. Sofie Schoenherr, a student from the Copenhagen Business School in Denmark, is one of the many examples.

“People are really nice; the culture and people are very friendly,” Schoenherr said. “The weather is mostly nice, sunny, warm and delightful.”

For USC students who will be studying abroad, the chance to interact with exchange students here at USC allows them to better understand what it will be like for them during their time abroad. At an International Education Week event, a USC student studying abroad in Copenhagen and an exchange student from Copenhagen discussed the two cultures and exchanged advice.

“It’s a brand new experience. It’s like going to college all over again in a compressed six months,” Andrew Schindler, a second-year international business and finance student who will be attending the Copenhagen Business School next spring, said. “Europe is beautiful, meeting new people. It’s going to be a lot of fun! I’m really enthusiastic about it.”

Additionally, USC offers a student organization for anyone interested in learning about international experiences. The Study Abroad Association (SAA) encourages students who have traveled, who plan or hope to travel and international students to come together and discuss international involvement and mentorship.

SAA meetings are the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at 5 p.m. in the Study Abroad Office. International Potlucks, trivia and movie nights, workshops and global leadership certification are some of the many things SAA does. Feel free to drop by a meeting: Explore the world and experience something new.