"Death Of A Bachelor" reminiscent of Panic's earlier days

<p>Courtesy of DCD2 Records</p>
Courtesy of DCD2 Records

When Panic! At The Disco released their debut album “A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out” in 2005, they soon became the poster band for “emo” kids across the world. With his smudged eyeliner and exaggerative lyrics of teen angst and rebellion, Brendon Urie quickly rose to fame as the misunderstood frontman of a band that everybody seemed to adore.

Throughout the past decade, Panic has released several albums in an attempt to recreate their iconic beginnings. Though they have consistently proved to be an incredibly talented band, nothing has quite come close to the revolutionary album that started it all ... until now.

Released Friday, “Death Of A Bachelor” is Panic’s fifth studio album and is mainly written and composed by Urie himself. This record is truly an homage to the band’s earlier days and is one of the most unique creations they’ve released yet. Blending both past and present sounds, “Death Of A Bachelor” is an impressive display of punk rock at its finest.

“Victorious” sets the tone for the entire record by introducing a strong collection of brass instruments. Urie’s risky decision to utilize a full orchestra gives the album another layer of strange musicality. Though "Victorious" does not boast any deep lyrics or a heart-wrenching chorus, it helps listeners transition into what is one of the band’s most versatile soundtracks.

“Hallelujah” continues to kick off the album with high energy and an edginess that only Urie could master. Although the lyrics are once again simplistically mediocre, the song’s upbeat craziness will evoke nostalgia among fans of Panic’s youth.

“Impossible Year” and “Death of a Bachelor” are two more songs that showcase Urie’s brilliant range and distinct sound. Citing Frank Sinatra, who would have turned 100 this past year, as an inspiration, Urie uses these tracks to explore his intense love for the jazz scene. Though peculiar, this new addition to the band’s rock vibe is welcomed with open arms.

“Death Of A Bachelor” is a commercial album that draws on Panic’s earlier works, while also giving fans a new insight into what exactly Urie has planned for the future. It is evident that Urie wants to continue the band as he originally started it: an insane mix of sounds, beats and vocals that always surprises fans. Over the past few years, Panic has had trouble reviving their initial success, but this album definitely puts the band back on top.

I give this album a B+.