In-Brief: 2/1/2016

Escaped SC inmate thought to be armed

Law enforcement officials believe that the Rock Hill inmate who escaped Jan. 25 from a minimum-security facility is armed with a .380 handgun and ammunition, according to a report by WIS. Zachery Lee Reaves, who was serving an eight-year sentence for second-degree burglary, is thought to have stolen the weapon and ammunition along with $35 in cash from a desk at the Academy Christian School. The 26-year-old escaped from the Catawba Pre-Release Center.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Virginia Tech students charged with murder of 13-year-old girl

The Washington Post reports that Virginia Tech student David E. Eisenhauer has been charged with first-degree murder in the case of missing Blacksburg girl Nicole Madison Lovell. Her body was discovered late Saturday in Surry County, North Carolina. Natalie Marie Keepers, another Virginia Tech student, was charged Sunday with a misdemeanor accessory charge in connection with Lovell's murder. The two suspects are believed to have known each other, but the nature of their relationship is unknown. Both are being held without bond at a Montgomery County, Virginia jail.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Diverse productions wins big at SAG Awards

Amidst controversy surrounding a lack of diversity in this year's Academy Award nominations, Idris Elba took home two major awards at this year's Screen Actors Guild Awards, NBC News reports. Viola Davis also won for "How to Get Away with Murder" for the second year in a row. "Transparent" and "The Danish Girl," both representations of the transgender community, also won. Leonardo DiCaprio's win in the best actor category also added fuel to the idea that he could finally capture the Academy Award that has long eluded him.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor