Dress Like an Icon: Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling attending the "Blue Valentine" photocall during the 63rd Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France on May 18, 2010. (Hahn-Nebinger-Orban/ABACAPRESS.COM/MCT)

Women everywhere swoon over Hollywood heartthrob Ryan Gosling. However, if he dressed in Crocs and overalls on the daily, we might think twice. Though he’s been spotted sporting a onesie with Ellen DeGeneres, his personal style utilizes classic pieces with a hip and modern twist.

Sweater / cardigan

Hey girl, know what this sweater’s made out of? Boyfriend material. While some men have yet to jump on board the cozy sweater train, Gosling certainly has. The actor can often be seen wearing a printed sweater or fitted cardigan. They remind us of those cool winter days, snuggling up by the fire with a warm cup of coffee or cocoa in hand. While not the conventional epitome of masculinity, sweaters done right can show off your sophisticated and studious side.

Tailored, non-traditional suit

Black tie doesn’t always have to be taken so literally. While other stars step out in their boring black tuxes and suits time after time, Gosling mixes it up with blue, green or sometimes even garnet suits. But not so fast! This does not mean you should head straight for the nearest Party City to buy some disco getup. Gosling’s suits are tailored to a tee in luxurious fabrics. So if you’re aiming to pull off that purple polyester tux, use caution.

Timeless white T-shirt

Sometimes simplicity works wonders. You don’t have to have a multi-million dollar paycheck to master Gosling’s style. Rock a V or crew neck tee with your favorite pair of jeans and a leather belt for a classically cool look. It’s comfortable and effortlessly suave. Additional tip: Make sure your tee is in a soft, lightweight fabric. Shirts like Gildan’s heavy 100 percent cotton ones are acceptable to show off your high school sport’s team or that charity event you helped out with, but they do not give off that same “I woke up like this” effect.

Lace-up boots

A pair of shoes can make or break an outfit. Again, although Crocs may have their purpose, they are not necessarily the best way to dress to impress. Gosling keeps it sophisticated with a polished pair of Oxfords on special occasions, but for a casual look, he tends to don his feet in worn-in, slightly edgier boots. They’re the perfect compliment to his comfy cardigans for a youthful, put together look.

Stubble

Beards: You either love ‘em or you hate ‘em. Stubble, however, manages to please pro-beard and pro-clean-shaven people. While Gosling occasionally changes up his facial hair status, his most common look is a faint mustache with some rough, yet polished stubble. This look is not for everyone. If your facial hair often grows in patches, you may start to appear more like Tom Hanks in his early stages on the beach in "Cast Away." However, if you know you can grow that full beard, perhaps try keeping it simple with just a touch of stubble, a la Gosling.