Long-distance relationships are difficult, but often worth it

300 dpi Eddie Thomas illustration related to cold weather in February and Valentine's Day. (Minneapolis Star Tribune/MCT)

For some, college is a natural breaking point in relationships. The distance and the potential of a whole new pool of fish to investigate is often too great of a lure. But what about the couples that choose to stick it out in a long-distance relationship?

Taylor Nadler, a second-year biological sciences student, and her boyfriend of three years made the choice to stick it out, and they typically see each other over breaks. Although the distance can make for lonely nights in a long-distance relationship, long-term reward is greater than short-term gratification. If a significant other is willing to put extra time and effort into a relationship to keep it flourishing, then that person would be a good long-term partner.

“[R]elationships in general are about finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with,” Nadler said. “If you’re lucky enough to be with someone and it works long distance, you feel close to them no matter how far away you are,” she said.

Some advice for long-distance couples includes patience and taking the relationship seriously.

“[B]e patient. It’s frustrating when all you want to do is to be with someone every day and you can’t, but knowing someone is willing to push through a long distance relationship to be with you is such a great feeling,” Nadler said.

In addition, treating a long-distance relationship as a genuine relationship will strengthen the ties between individuals, and will prevent both sides from feeling like they could have spent their time meeting other people. It is imperative to continue communication in order to prevent individuals in a relationship from growing apart. When both sides are wholly committed, trust is fostered and the relationship thrives.

“Make sure that it is worth it. If you aren’t serious about the other, don’t waste both of your time. The distance is by far anything but easy, but it is worth it when you get to see each other,” Meghan Mcmenamy said.

Mcmenamy, a third-year retail management student, is able to see her boyfriend of eight months about every month, despite being 11 hours away.

Valentine’s Day can be tough, but it is by no means impossible. Studying abroad, Nadler has plans to FaceTime her boyfriend, and Mcmenamy will fly to see hers. True love knows no boundaries, and distance should certainly not be one of them.