​Basketball players earn national recogntion

Despite abrupt endings to both the men’s and women’s basketball seasons, several players have been honored for their tremendous efforts this year.

Men’s Basketball

Gamecocks fans will have one last chance to see senior forward Michael Carrera play before he graduates, as he was selected to participate in the Latin America Select Team.

“I’m proud to be Latino and proud to represent Gamecock Nation and the Latino community at an event like this,” Carrera said. 

Carrera, a native of Venezuela, led the Gamecocks with 14.5 points and 7.7 rebounds per game. He was also named to the First Team All-SEC team this year.

In his four years at South Carolina, Carrera started in 95 of his 122 games played and scored over 1,100 points. Carrera’s high school coach Stu Vetter, who also coached NBA superstar Kevin Durant, recently said he believes Carrera has a shot in the NBA after a strong senior season. 

The Latin America Select Team game is scheduled for April 2 in Houston.

Women’s Basketball

Shortly after South Carolina’s exit from the NCAA Tournament on Friday, the Associated Press released its awards list, which included three Gamecocks.

Sophomore forward A’ja Wilson was named to the AP All-America First Team, adding to the list of accolades she acquired this season. Wilson was also named the SEC Player of the Year and SEC Defensive Player of the Year this season.

The South Carolina native led the Gamecocks in scoring with 16.1 points per game and on the defensive end with 3.1 blocks per game. 

The second half of South Carolina’s dominant frontcourt, junior center Alaina Coates, was named to AP Honorable Mention All-America team. Like Wilson, Coates was moved into Dawn Staley’s starting lineup this season, with great success. Coates averaged a double-double with 12.1 points per game and 10.3 rebounds per game, while averaging 18 points and 12 rebounds per game on 75 percent shooting in the tournament. 

Finally, one of South Carolina’s five graduating seniors, Tiffany Mitchell, received AP All-America Second Team honors after averaging 15.0 points, 2.5 assists and 1.8 steals per game. Mitchell also shot 41.5 percent from the field and made 1.7 three-pointers per game.

The NCAA selected Mitchell to participate in the State Farm 3-Point Championship scheduled for 9 p.m. Thursday. In her career, Mitchell made 180 three-point shots on 39.9 percent shooting. 

Mitchell is a projected top-7 pick in the WNBA Draft, according to Excelle Sports.