Dress Like an Icon: Don Draper

Jon Hamm as Don Draper - Mad Men _ Season 7B, Portraits - Photo Credit: Frank Ockenfels 3/AMC

Though he lives in the ’60s, Don Draper of AMC’s "Mad Men" inspires everyone with his confidence and timeless style.

As a self-assured and intimidating advertising executive, Draper requires an impeccably put-together ensemble to match his ego and creative skill. Whether he’s delivering an ad pitch in the office, impressing a potential client over dinner or vacationing with his family, Draper maintains his cool persona with his flawless attire.

Perfectly Tailored Suit 

In a decade dominated by the “alpha male,” the key to Draper’s seamless masculinity lies in a suit tailored to a tee. His wardrobe uniformly consists of gray, blue or other neutral-colored suits in a subtle linen-like pattern. Underneath, he always sticks with a white, blue or cream button-down shirt. While workplaces these days often feature looser dress codes with even more “Casual Fridays,” if you’re hoping to stand apart from your coworkers, taking a fashion hint from Draper could help you make that excellent first or second impression.

All the Bells and Whistles 

Draper's suits are not complete without the perfect accessories. No, this does not mean that he can be seen sporting a necklace or pair of sunglasses in the office. He begins with a fairly skinny tie, again in either a solid neutral color or a traditional pattern (think diagonal stripes). He finishes his look with a pocket square, cuff links and the occasional tie clip to maintain his professional and poised appearance.

Fedora and Overcoat 

Whether he’s on his way to work or casually strolling the streets of New York, Draper often overcomes the cool Big Apple air with a stylish fedora and a long overcoat. This keeps him warm, while also adhering to his tailored and timeless appearance. While fedoras are not as popular among men now, with the right outfit, they can make you look dapper like Draper.

Casual Wear 

Even when he’s enjoying some relaxing free time, Draper sticks to sophisticated threads. However, he trades his suits for short-sleeved collared shirts tucked into a pair of khaki slacks for an outfit ready for any casual outing. For a more laid-back twist on his traditional suit, he’ll sometimes mix it up with a plaid blazer. Still, whether dressing casually or formally, it’s important to note when replicating his style that his outfits are always tailored and relatively fitted. That oversized plaid jacket your grandpa passed down to you won’t cut it if you’re trying to look like a young Draper.

Slicked and Sleek Hairstyle 

Draper keeps his hair slicked back even when wearing pajamas. Consistent grooming without a single hair out of place is the finishing touch to Draper’s constantly professional appearance. However, it is important not to go overboard on the hair gel. This look may require frequent trips the salon to achieve just the right length and style, but copying his hairstyle is sure to keep you staying suave and James Bond-like.