Dress Like an Icon: Olivia Palermo

<p>New York City socialite Olivia Palermo tends to sport unique jackets, neutral colors, and a killer pair of shoes.</p>
New York City socialite Olivia Palermo tends to sport unique jackets, neutral colors, and a killer pair of shoes.

Fashion icon Olivia Palermo makes the city streets her runway with her simple, chic style.

This 30-year-old American socialite and television personality is consistently making a statement on the streets with her versatile, sophisticated and trendy haute couture. Whether you dress it up or dress it down, you can sport a Palermo-inspired look with these tips.

Wardrobe Staples

Palermo, who gained prominence on the reality series “The City,” never fails to own the busy streets of New York in her designer-clad ensembles. To mirror her iconic street style, be sure to have these four staples in your closet.

1. Skinny jeans — whether they are distressed, leather, light wash, dark wash or black — are comfortable, chic and a necessity for a girl on the go.

2. A button-down shirt and a sweater — cowl neck, crew neck or turtle neck — are perfect for layering and give an aura of sophistication to any outfit.

3. A go-to handbag will compliment any outfit and can carry all of your necessities. Add a faux fur bag charm for a real Palermo touch.

4. Never be without a pair of trendy sunglasses.

Outerwear

Complete your street style ensemble with a statement outerwear piece. Even when the New York City chill has subsided, Palermo incorporates a trendy jacket or coat into her outfit to tie it all together. Top off your look with a faux fur coat, a long vest, a blazer or a leather jacket.

Shoes

Perhaps the most notable aspect of Palermo’s street style is her killer footwear. Try a pair of platform sneakers, strappy heels, high-top sneakers, pointed-toe pumps or Oxford flats. Whether you are dressing up or dressing down, these unique shoes will get you where you need to go and give your outfit an extra creative flair. 

Color Palette

Although she typically doesn’t stray from black, neutrals and solids, Palermo isn’t afraid to make a statement and occasionally incorporates a pop of color or an eccentric pattern into her look.

The Look

Palermo usually sports natural makeup, topped off with jewelry to add a sophisticated air to her simple look.  Achieve this by wearing minimal makeup and a single statement piece or several dainty pieces of jewelry. Also, get Palermo’s simple, chic hair by wearing a middle part and styling it either straight and sleek or soft and tousled.