Softball victorious against Western Carolina with the only score of the game

The South Carolina softball team faced off against Western Carolina on Tuesday night in a defensive battle that the Gamecocks (14-2) won 1-0.

The Gamecocks came home after posting a record of 4-1 in the Gaucho Classic in Santa Barbara, California, last week. Their perfect home record increased to 7-0 with Tuesday's win.

South Carolina came out swinging well, earning five hits in three innings. However, they had nothing to show for it as the farthest any runners got was second base. Freshman Kennedy Clark was a perfect 2-2 in those three innings.

But in the bottom of the fourth, senior Ansley Ard ripped one down the right center, sending junior Taylor Williams — who had advanced to second off a wild pitch — home for the first and only score of the game.

Junior Nickie Blue got the start on the mound for the Gamecocks and performed well. She boosted her ERA by allowing zero runs in five innings. The Colorado native sent six batters to the dugout on strikeouts and only walked one. She improved her win/loss record to 4-2 on the season. Junior Jessica Elliott relieved Blue for the final innings and brought the Gamecocks the final six outs on seven batters.

South Carolina will have home-field advantage the next four games as they host the Gamecock Invitational. Their first game is Friday at 4 p.m. against Kennesaw State.