South Carolina governor signs post-20-week abortion ban

South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley signed into law an abortion ban at 20 weeks past fertilization. 

The proposal asserted that at 20 weeks pregnancy, an infant can feel pain. It was signed by Haley on Wednesday, making it officially illegal for physicians to perform abortion procedures at 20 weeks. The bill does not include exceptions for cases of rape or incest.

"After 20 weeks, the unborn child reacts to stimuli that would be recognized as painful if applied to an adult human, for example, by recoiling," the bill states.

The only exceptions to the law are cases in which the mother's life is in jeopardy or if a physician determines that the fetus cannot survive after being born. Pro-life legislators and activists were pleased with Haley's signing the bill.

According to Susan B. Anthony List president Marjorie Dannenfelser, the newly enacted law is "the latest victory amid a flurry of state-level pro-life activity being led by women lawmakers."

Pro-choice groups strongly opposed the bill, and activists protested outside of the South Carolina Statehouse on Tuesday. They called for Governor Haley to reject or veto the bill. Dr. Scott Sullivan, the director of maternal-fetal medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina, also urged Haley to veto the bill. 

"I'll just keep doing what we always do: Trying to help families in need," Sullivan said. "This (law) just makes it harder."

Physicians face up to $10,000 in fines and a maximum three-year prison sentence for violating the ban. Upon a third conviction, prison time is mandatory.