Gamecocks drop first game to the Cowboys behind slow offensive performance

Oklahoma State is now one win away from Omaha as the Gamecocks dropped the series opener 5-1.

Game 1 of the Columbia Super Regionals was a pitching battle, with two recent third-round draft picks starting for each team. Braden Webb got the nod from the Gamecocks while Thomas Hatch went to the mound for the Cowboys.

Hatch continued his excellent postseason by keeping the Gamecocks scoreless on four hits over seven innings. South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook recognized how good of a team Oklahoma State is and how they have to bat better.

“They’re awfully good; I said that going in," Holbrook said. "They’re as good a pitching staff and defensive team as we’ve played all year, and it’s hard to score against teams that pitch well and play great defense.”

South Carolina could not get much offense going, but they had a few opportunities early on. Gene Cone and TJ Hopkins hit back-to-back singles to lead off the fourth. With two outs, Jonah Bride singled, but Cone was waved home and tagged at the plate, ending the inning.

The Gamecocks had trouble getting hits after that, as they were shut out until the bottom of the ninth.

Dom Thompson-Williams hit a leadoff homer, his eighth of the season. They tried to rally as Alex Destino followed with a walk. John Jones came in to pinch hit and singled to put runners at first and second with two outs. DC Arendas, who went 1-3 on the day with a walk, tried to continue the rally but struck out to end the game and left two stranded.

Coach Holbrook understands how important it is to capitalize on those kinds of opportunities.

“You have to step up when you have those one or two opportunities because opportunities are few and far between," he said. "We didn’t execute that one inning when we had first and second and nobody out. We could have changed the complexion of the game right there, but that’s baseball when you're facing an awfully good pitcher and you have to tip your cap to the opponent.“

The Gamecocks did not play very smartly in Saturday’s contest and just could not get any offense going. They left seven men on base and grounded into one double play where they could have had the chance to score. As Holbrook said, the Gamecocks need to capitalize on these opportunities if they want to continue playing.

South Carolina is familiar with elimination games, as they just won four straight at home during regionals. It was difficult to overcome the first time, and it will be difficult to overcome now, but Holbrook is confident about his team.

"Look at the percentages and the odds aren’t in our favor, obviously," coach Holbrook said. "Honestly, I don’t know how tomorrow is going to go, but we get to play in Founders Park for two games with the chance to go to the College World Series, then daggum it sign me up.”

Clarke Schmidt will head to the mound for the Gamecocks and Tyler Buffett will go for the Cowboys Sunday. The Gamecocks will now need to win two more. If Oklahoma State wins Sunday, they’re on to the College World Series.