In Brief: 6/21/16

Officer wounded, suspect killed in hostage situation

A Jasper County Sheriff’s Deputy was wounded Monday morning responding to a hostage situation at a Hardeesville Dollar General, The State reports. The suspect was killed in an altercation with police. Officers responded to the store where the suspect took a clerk hostage during an armed robbery. Officials say the officer was shot in the foot and is expected to recover. The clerk taken hostage was not injured, and a joint investigation by the Jasper County Sheriff’s Department and the Hardeesville Police Department into the incident is underway.

CofC athletics director announces retirement

Longtime College of Charleston athletics director Joe Hull will step down when his contract expires at the end of the year, The Post and Courier reports. Hull has been at the helm in Charleston since 2007 after a stint at Maryland. He managed the school’s transition into the Colonial Athletic Association from the Southern Conference and helped to bring home 42 conference championships in 12 sports. Hull’s retirement will become official when his current contract expires on Dec. 31.

Scheduling conflicts complicate Roof trial

The state prosecutor leading the case against Dylan Roof is speaking out about the trial date for the federal case against him, WIS reports.  Scarlett Wilson claims the November date set for the federal trial will be problematic because of the abundance of holidays during that time of year. She also says the fact the federal case could take six weeks or more could create an overlap with the January start date set for the state case against him. Roof faces nine murder charges on a state level as well as federal civil rights charges in the shooting of nine parishioners of the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston last June.