Democrats find some unity on second day of convention

PHILADELPHIA  – As the sun set in the City of Brotherly Love on Tuesday, the Democratic National Convention became less divided. The focus of the convention and the country shifted from a divisive primary to a historic milestone, as the Democratic Party officially made Hillary Clinton the first woman nominated by a major political party for president of the U.S.

Clinton herself appeared via video at the end of the night Tuesday.

“If there are any little girls out there who stayed up late to watch, let me just say I may become the first woman president, but one of you is next!” Clinton said, in a video which began with a montage of 44 male presidents ended by a shattering dissolve to the nominee herself.

New York delegate Maureen Liccione was thrilled to be in the Wells Fargo Arena for Clinton’s nomination. “It was a life moment,” said the Long Islander. 

Liccione had high praise for the former New York senator and secretary of state. She’s “a woman I’ve come to know and respect to the nth-degree,” Liccione said of Clinton.

Liccione was ecstatic about the possibility of a female president. “It’s about time,” she said.

Throughout the night, speakers echoed the theme of female empowerment.

Earlier in the evening, Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin took the stage to chants of “We love Steve!” from the South Carolina delegation. He spoke to the convention about introducing his daughter to Clinton.

“One of my proudest moments as a father was watching Bethany shake Hillary’s hand with a confidence that would have escaped most adults,” Benjamin said. “And announce that Hillary had her full support because, and I quote, ‘The guys have been president long enough and now it’s time for a woman to take control.’”

Benjamin, who introduced Clinton at a rally in downtown Columbia on the eve of the South Carolina primary, had high praise for the Democratic nominee on Tuesday in Philadelphia. He talked about the lessons he wants his daughters to take away from Clinton’s campaign.

“I want them to know that sugar and spice are nice, but courage, intelligence and the will to lead — that’s what women are made of,” Benjamin said.

South Carolina Democratic Party Chairman Jaime Harrison also referenced the historic nature of Clinton’s candidacy while announcing the state’s votes during the roll call.

“Because our democratic primaries break glass ceilings, South Carolina is proud to cast … 46 votes for the next president of the United States, Hillary Clinton!” Harrison said as cheers erupted among the delegates. 

The evening program featured remarks from Mothers of the Movement, a group of mothers of gun violence and police brutality victims who campaigned with Clinton in Columbia during the South Carolina primary.

“She invited us to become a part of the solution,” Lucia McBath said of Clinton, as the women urged the country to vote for Hillary.

The night was not without disruptions. Hundreds of disgruntled Bernie Sanders delegates were upset that their hero had lost the primary, endorsed Clinton and even made the roll call vote official himself. They walked out of the convention and stormed into the media tent after a raucous rally where they overwhelmed police.

Despite a chaotic scene, the protest remained peaceful but very animated.

“Our vote will not be silenced!” one delegate shouted as others covered their mouths with duct tape, symbolizing the oppression they felt the DNC was imposing on them by asking them to support Clinton. 

One Clinton supporter stood her ground amidst a sea of angry Sanders delegates.

“I love Bernie as well,” she said, “but only one person can win and the votes were cast.” 

After tensions cooled, protestors began orderly filing out of the media center, but not before some words of encouragement from those serving as leaders of the “Bernie or bust” movement.

“We’re united,” said one delegate standing on a chair above the crowd. “And we showed the world that!” 

Protests raged on throughout the afternoon and evening, but there were hard-core Clinton supporters out in the streets of Philadelphia on Tuesday as well.

Adair Johnson was wearing a Clinton mask and a boxing glove.

“She’s gonna knock out terror and hate, gonna keep America great,” Johnson said. 

Inside the Wells Fargo Arena, Bill Clinton served as the keynote evening speaker. In his speech, the former president reused a phrase from a speech he gave at Allen University in Columbia back in February.

Hillary is the “best darn change maker I have ever known,” Bill Clinton said Tuesday, as delegates waved signs that read “change maker.” 

Clinton also made some history himself, as he became the first former president to endorse his spouse for his old job.