How former Gamecocks are doing up to MLB break

The Boston Red Sox's Jackie Bradley Jr. follows through on a solo home run in the second inning against the Kansas City Royals in the second game of a doubleheader on Wednesday, May 18, 2016, at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. (John Sleezer/Kansas City Star/TNS)

The MLB All-Star break is here, which means we are halfway through the 2016 season. Former South Carolina players have made a name for themselves this season, including five players in the big leagues and one being named a 2016 All-Star.

Jackie Bradley Jr. (OF) — Boston Red Sox

Bradley Jr. has finally made his much-expected breakthrough into the pros. He earned the spot at center on Opening Day and has been phenomenal since then to stay up. His strong showing impressed fans across the country, as he was voted a starter for the 2016 All-Star game. He is the first Gamecock to start the midsummer classic since Brian Roberts in 2005. Bradley will join teammates David Ortiz, Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts and Steven Wright in San Diego on July 12 for the game.

Bradley is entering the break hitting .296 with 89 hits, 14 homeruns and 55 RBIs. He had a 29-game hit streak from April 24 to May 26. During that streak, he had 44 hits, nine doubles, three triples, 8 home runs and 30 RBIs. This streak was the fourth longest in Red Sox history and helped gain him the popularity that named him an All Star.

Sam Dyson (RHP) — Texas Rangers

Dyson is currently in his fifth season in the majors and second with the Rangers. Dyson has become reliable in the back of the Rangers bullpen, becoming their closer. He’s notched 18 saves in the first half, with a 1-2 record and a 2.59 ERA. He’s fanned 31 batters over 41.2 innings pitched.

The Rangers are currently in first in the AL West. Dyson has only blown two saves this season, so if he can stay consistent in the bullpen, Dyson can help carry the Rangers through the second half.

Steve Pearce (1B) — Tampa Bay Rays

Pearce signed with the Rays this past offseason after three years with the Baltimore Orioles. Pearce has had a good season in his new home, batting .322 before he hit the disabled list at the end of June. He’s recorded nine doubles and nine home runs on 56 hits while driving in 25. Pearce’s hamstring recovery has been going well, and he is expected to make a return when baseball resumes this weekend, hoping to get the struggling Rays back on track.

Justin Smoak (1B) — Toronto Blue Jays

Smoak has been slumping as of late with his second year on the Blue Jays, as he’s hit .130 over the past month. He has 49 hits with nine home runs and nine doubles, and 23 RBIs in the first half. Smoak has consistently gotten the start at first for Toronto, but hopefully the break will get him out of his slump and back into the player he was earlier.

Whit Merrifield (INF/OF) — Kansas City Royals

Merrifield is the most recent Gamecock to make his Major League debut, which happened May 18. Merrifield collected his first MLB hit in his second at-bat that night, after flying out to Boston center fielder and former teammate Jackie Bradley Jr. his first time up.

At the break, Merrifield is hitting .290 with 56 hits, two homers and 16 RBIs with five stolen bases. Merrifield is a huge asset for the reigning World Series champions, as he can play all infield and outfield positions. The Royals, who have been plagued by injuries lately, have desperately needed his versatility. As long as he continues to impress, Merrifield can continue to find himself in the lineup.

Getting to see former greats playing together, even against each other, provides amazing memories for fans. With three former Gamecocks each playing for different teams in the AL East, the second half can only provide more entertainment and excitement for South Carolina.