Republican convention finds footing on second day

Donald Trump Jr., Donald Trump's son, speaks on the second day of the Republican National Convention on Tuesday, July 19, 2016, at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. (Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

After a rough start to its national convention, the Republican Party was back on message Tuesday in Cleveland as it officially nominated Donald Trump to be its presidential candidate this November. But that message was more focused on criticisms of Hillary Clinton than on praise of the new nominee.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie led a mock trial of the Democratic presumptive nominee on a night that had originally been billed as focusing on the economy, but ended up as a crusade against Clinton.

“Tonight, as a former federal prosecutor, I welcome the opportunity to hold Hillary Rodham Clinton accountable,” Christie said, after which delegates loudly chanted, “Lock her up!”

NBC News analysis showed that 13 of the prime time speakers focused on Clinton, while six spent most their time praising Trump. Clinton’s name was mentioned more often during the evening program than the party’s newly minted standard-bearer.

Earlier in the day, South Carolina Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster offered praise for Trump when he seconded the candidate's nomination for president. McMaster was the first statewide elected official in the country to endorse Trump when he introduced the candidate at a rally in Gilbert back in January.

“Donald Trump is a remarkable man,” McMaster said Tuesday. “He is a man of uncommon strength, uncommon determination, accomplishment and vision. He may be the only man perfectly equipped to win the ferocious battle ahead.” 

Former Gamecock football head coach Lou Holtz also made news in Cleveland by criticizing an immigrant “invasion” during a speech at a luncheon hosted by the Republican National Coalition for Life.

“I don’t want to speak your language,” Holtz said. “I don’t want to celebrate your holidays. I sure as hell don’t want to cheer for your soccer team!”

Articles written about Holtz’s comments were part of another tough day of media coverage at the convention as questions still swirled around accusations leveled at Melania Trump that she plagiarized part of her speech to the convention on Monday from Michelle Obama.

Sean Spicer, Republican National Committee communications director, claimed that the potential first lady used common phrasing while defending her on CNN early Tuesday afternoon.

"Melania Trump said: 'The strength of your dreams and willingness to work for them,'” Spicer argued. “Twilight Sparkle from 'My Little Pony' said: 'This is your dream. Anything you can do in your dreams you can do now.'"

The campaign appeared to put the matter to rest on Wednesday morning as speechwriter Meredith Mclver took responsibility for the error, saying the candidate had rejected her offer to resign.

As the formal business of the convention began again early Tuesday evening, there was little sign of the divisions that marked the convention’s first day. Monday saw part of the South Carolina delegation nearly put a rebellious group of delegates over the threshold they needed to force a vote convention organizers hoped to avoid.

Despite procedural protests from the Alaska delegation, the counting of delegate votes moved relatively swiftly Tuesday and culminated with Donald Trump Jr. leading New York’s delegates in formally securing the party’s presidential nomination for his father.

Soon afterward, the evening program began and soon turned away from the announced theme of “Make America Work Again” and into a Clinton-bashing parade of speakers.

RNC co-chair Sharon Day kicked things off by attacking Clinton’s tenure as first lady. “You viciously attacked the character of women who were sexually abused at the hands of your husband,” Day said.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson went further back in time to Clinton’s role as first lady of Arkansas. “We know from personal experience that we don’t need Hillary Clinton in the White House!” Hutchison said. Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge also piled on.

A trend soon developed as politicians such as former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson, National Rifle Association lobbyist Chris Cox, California Congressman Kevin McCarthy and West Virginia Sen. Shelley Moore Capito all focused more on Clinton than Trump during their remarks.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell went through a laundry list of lies he claimed Clinton has told America.

“She lied about why her parents named her Hillary!” McConnell said, recalling the 2006 controversy where Clinton backed off earlier claims she was named for famous climber Edmund Hillary.

Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, an outspoken critic of Trump despite his endorsement of the mogul, made a plea for the party to come together to support their nominee in opposition to Clinton.

“What do you say that we unify this party?” Ryan said as delegates rose in a standing ovation. “What do you say that we unify this party at this crucial moment when unity is everything?”

Ben Carson raised eyebrows when he appeared to tie Clinton to Lucifer.

But it was Christie who received the loudest responses as the crowd loved his “prosecution” of Clinton Tuesday.

“Answer me now, is she guilty or not guilty?” Christie yelled as the crowd in Quicken Loans Arena roared, “Guilty!”

Clinton responded to Christie’s speech by referencing the “Bridgegate” scandal on social media. “If you think Chris Christie can lecture anyone on ethics, we have a bridge to sell you,” she tweeted.

Meanwhile, non-traditional speakers such as UFC President Dana White, businessman Andy Wist and Trump Winery Manager Kerry Woolard praised the new Republican nominee. Professional golfer Natalie Gulbis said Trump was a great mentor to her as she transitioned into the role of businesswoman.

“Donald remains a consistent voice encouraging me to stand up to gender injustices and to lean in to any professional challenge that comes my way,” Gulbis said as she beamed.

Tiffany Trump shared personal anecdotes about life with her father.

“I still keep all of my report cards, some dating back to kindergarten,” she said. “Because I like to look back and see the sweet notes he wrote on each and every one of them.”

Donald Trump Jr. painted his father as a blue-collar billionaire.

“He hung out with the guys on construction sites pouring concrete and hanging sheet rock,” Trump Jr. said. “He listened to them and he valued their opinions as much, and often more, than the guys from Harvard and Wharton locked away in offices away from the real work.”

Trump Jr.’s speech, which was widely praised despite another small speech writing incident, was mostly about his father but also returned to the unofficial theme of the night at the convention.

“If Hillary Clinton were elected, she’d be the first president who couldn’t pass a basic background check!” Trump Jr. said.

Trump himself appeared by video to preview the upcoming nights of the convention and to thank the delegates for making him the Republican nominee.

“I’m so proud to be your nominee for president of the United States,” he said.