Arts and Draughts experiences success despite heavy rain

<p>Arts and Draughts showcased art, local restaurants and live music in spite of heavy downpours, drawing a&nbsp;large crowd.</p>
Arts and Draughts showcased art, local restaurants and live music in spite of heavy downpours, drawing a large crowd.

Columbia Museum of Art was teeming with live music, unique crafts and hundreds of cups of beer on the evening of Aug. 19. 

Arts and Draughts, a quarterly event hosted at the museum, is a highly anticipated event in the Columbia community. Arts and Draughts was popular among USC students as well as residents from the surrounding area as the museum was full of a wide range of individuals.

“It’s super cheap, you get to see four different bands, I always run into people I know and meet new friends, and it’s usually good food, too,” said USC pharmacy student Ashley Godwin.

Multiple bands performed at the event, including Rico & Miranda, Band & the Beat, Hermit’s Victory and Grace Joyner. 

An intense thunderstorm prevented bands from playing on the outdoor stage, but a stage indoors allowed the bands to play.

“We’re thankful for everyone being here and being supportive," said James Tritten from Band & the Beat. "I think I saw a couple people busting out the robot on the dance floor which is pretty cool." 

Food trucks were stationed outside of the museum, including the Wurst Wagon, Village Idiot Pizza and the Belgian Waffle Truck. Veterans and new attendees alike appreciated the event despite heavy rain that began shortly after 7 p.m. 

“So far I really like it, and I like the variety of food they have and just events going on and music … I’d definitely come back,” said fourth year biochemistry student Amy Harrington.

In addition to the live music, beer tastings of Sugar Creek Brewing’s White Ale were brought by The Whig. There was a scavenger hunt through most of the museum’s art galleries with a $250 prize from Patagonia, and USC's Ink and Paper conducted screen printing sessions, a process involving paint and stencils. A table of pipe cleaners were available for attendees to fashion cat ears, bracelets and ornate crowns to wear around the museum.

“I think the fact that everyone comes together and enjoys different aspects of the art [is great], but it’s a great community experience,” said Dreher High School senior Isabel Cook.

The cost of attending was $9 for the general public and $5 for members of the museum, and volunteers attended the event for free. The next Arts and Draughts event will be on Nov. 11.