Column: Muschamp's hesitancy to name a QB could be a blessing

Coach Will Muschamp did little to alleviate the widespread anxiety felt in Gamecock Country when he announced that he had no immediate plans to announce a starting quarterback.

Fans will be quick to point to the mere 10 remaining days on the calendar before South Carolina is set to open their season in the Music City against Vanderbilt, but waiting until the last very possible moment might be Muschamp’s best move in this situation.

If fans need a reminder of just how much can change in a 12-game season, look back at last year. Former Head Ball Coach Steve Spurrier dubbed Connor Mitch as his starter at the beginning of the 2015 season, but a separated shoulder would prematurely end his season after just six quarters of football. Lorenzo Nunez and Perry Orth also saw significant time under center, but their inexperience was constantly on display in 2015. Even if Muschamp is leaning one way — most likely Orth over his freshman candidates Brandon McIlwain and Jake Bentley — giving all three the maximum amount of reps with the first team would appear to be beneficial based on how last season played out.

There is also the fact the quarterback position will not be the only revolving door on this roster. With so many potential moving parts, the South Carolina team has to thrive through its versatility to make up for areas where it lacks talent and physicality. Wide receivers need to be comfortable with whoever may be throwing to them. Offensive lineman need to be able to adapt for the times when they have to block for two or even three different quarterbacks in a single game.

Perhaps most importantly there is the fact that Muschamp can’t afford to get this decision wrong. In four seasons at Florida, Muschamp’s Gators never ranked better than No. 9 in total offense. In 2013 and 2014 they ranked last and second to last, respectively. On the whole, the tone of his tenure at Florida felt hastened and even unprepared at times. He has a second chance now, and he isn’t going to rush to a decision just for the purpose of creating a false sense of clarity.

If having three viable options at quarterback might seem confounding for South Carolina, imagine what it must feel like for their opponents. Simply put, it is harder to prepare for three quarterbacks than one.

When South Carolina travels to Vanderbilt on Sept. 1, Muschamp will in fact have decided on a quarterback. It would be nice to have a face to pair with that image, but it is certainly nothing to lose sleep over. Patience really could be a virtue for Muschamp in this situation. The season promises to be tumultuous and hectic, so allow Muschamp a few extra days to clear his mind and make the most informed possible decision before entering the storm that is football in the SEC.