Gameday how-to: Guide to football Saturdays in Columbia

As students are returning from their summers away, one thing is on everyone’s mind: football season. Whether it’s your first-ever game or you’re entering your senior year, getting to and through gameday can be a challenge. There are a few things to keep in mind as everyone prepares for kickoff.

Racking up loyalty points

Columbia will be a little quiet for the first few weeks of the fall semester, as the first home football game isn’t until Sept. 17 when East Carolina comes to town. Although everyone is patiently waiting to get back into Williams-Brice and see how the football team does, there are plenty of other games happening until then. Volleyball and men’s and women’s soccer are all in action with home games that students can attend. Going to these games lets students collect loyalty points, which help determine who’s going to be in the student section on that warm Saturday afternoon.

Both soccer teams and the volleyball team all have five home games between the first day of classes and the East Carolina game, and all games have loyalty point opportunities. All students have to do is go to the entrance and swipe their Carolina Card, and they get the points.

Each of these teams play host to rival Clemson during this span, and who doesn’t want to start off the year with some Palmetto Series games?

Requesting and claiming a ticket

Now that you’ve gotten some loyalty points and it’s finally the week of the East Carolina game, you can request a football ticket. You'll get an email about when the request period begins, then log into your account, click on the upcoming game and follow the on-screen instructions.

If you get a ticket, do not forget to claim it. For those who don’t, there’s still the on-demand period where leftover tickets are first-come, first-serve, so make sure you’re in a spot with good Wi-Fi if you want a chance.

Getting to the stadium

For those living on campus, getting to Williams-Brice is pretty simple as free shuttles are provided. They are stationed at the Coliseum lot and in front of Russell House. Students just show up to the buses and present their Carolina Card, and they have a ride to the stadium.

Making it through the game

Staying until the end of the game can be long and tiring, but it is always worth it, especially after a win, as players and fans sing the alma mater together. Make sure to drink a lot of water and eat beforehand to make those long games on hot afternoons go by.