In Brief: 8/24/16

Crash closes portions of Devine Street

Devine Street was closed in both directions for parts of Tuesday after a car accident, WIS reports. The car hit a utility pole just after noon Tuesday where Fort Jackson Boulevard meets Devine, and a truck then drove into wires from the pole. No one was injured in the crash, but police had to direct traffic for hours and encouraged drivers to find alternate routes. 

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

Independent taxis banned from Columbia airport

Only taxi companies licensed to enter Fort Jackson will be able to serve Columbia Metropolitan Airport, The Free Times reports. The new policy, which was approved by the Richland-Lexington Airport Commission and takes effect Oct. 1, only awards contracts to the area's three biggest taxi companies. This excludes more than 30 drivers previously licensed to serve the airport, and some of these drivers protested the law at the Statehouse on Tuesday.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

21 students hospitalized after incident on school bus

Twenty-one Richland County students were taken to the hospital after pepper spray was used on a school bus, WLTX reports. Two groups of students on the bus headed to Westwood High School reportedly got into a fight, and someone sprayed pepper spray out of a small canister. The students were taken to the hospital for observation as a preemptive measure, and deputies are investigating the incident.