In Brief: 8/28/16

Father, daughter killed in Saturday shooting

A father and daughter were found dead Saturday morning, The State reports. The daughter was found shot inside the family's home off Hard Scrabble Road while the father's body was outside a neighbor's house. Police had reportedly been called to the house before, and deputies are still investigating the shooting.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

One killed in officer-involved shooting in North Charleston

SLED is investigating an officer-involved shooting in North Charleston that left one suspect dead, WIS reports. The incident took place when police responded to reports of shots fired at an apartment complex and attempted to pull over a man fleeing the complex. Officers fired shots when the suspect reportedly began to flee on foot and fired shots at the officers. North Charleston Police faced scrutiny in recent years over the death of Walter Scott, an African-American man killed by an officer during a traffic stop.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Zika case reported in Myrtle Beach

Another travel related case of Zika virus was reported in South Carolina, The Sun News reports. The new case was found in a neighborhood in Myrtle Beach, but it was contracted in another state. Horry County officials went around the Myrtle Beach neighborhood to instruct others to take preventative measures. There have been 43 total travel-related cases of Zika in South Carolina to date.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor