South Carolina women's soccer wins off a late goal over UCF

The South Carolina women’s soccer team won 2-1 late Sunday night against a talented UCF team in a match that really put on display the Gamecocks' ability to make plays when they needed it most.

The game was extremely close the entire match, as neither team held the lead for more than eight minutes in the game. The Knights were able to strike first in the match, with Amanda Wilkin scoring off a penalty kick during the 55th minute. The Gamecocks responded right away though, scoring a goal in similar fashion just 85 seconds later and knotting the score up at one apiece. Chelsea Drennan was the goal scorer for the Gamecocks, scoring off a penalty kick, too.

The game would then stay tied at one for much of the second half. Each team had their chances. In the 60th minute Drennan nearly had a second goal on the night for South Carolina, as her header was just punched away by the keeper. The Gamecocks would make up for this missed opportunity 22 minutes later though when Paige Bendell’s shot would deflect off the post and right to Simone Wark, giving Wark her first goal of the season and providing the Gamecocks with what would be the game-winning goal.

UCF would continue to fight hard for the rest of the match, not allowing the Gamecocks to coast to victory after Wark’s goal. Even in the 88th minute, the Knights were able to make a threatening play and bring the ball into the attacking third, a play that was eventually broken up by Bendell, in turn sealing the victory for the Gamecocks.

This was a big win for South Carolina. It showed a resiliency and grit often lacking from teams in the early going of seasons — something that offers much promise of good things to come.

With the win, the Gamecocks have now won three games in a row and have brought their record to 3-0-1 on the season. UCF now falls to 1-3.

Both teams now must turn their focus toward their next games. They both play again on Friday, with South Carolina taking on in-state rival Clemson and UCF facing Oklahoma State.