Behind enemy lines: An interview with The Battalion assistant sports editor Heath Clary

Texas A&M quarterback Trevor Knight (8) celebrates a touchdown against Arkansas in the second quarter at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016. (Richard W. Rodriguez/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Ahead of South Carolina's Saturday game with Texas A&M at Williams-Brice Stadium, sports editor Adam Orfinger got in touch with Heath Clary, the assistant sports editor of Texas A&M's The Battalion, to preview the Gamecocks matchup with the undefeated Aggies.

TDG: Trevor Knight and the Aggie offense are rolling through their opponents. South Carolina has struggled to contain the run game, particularly against mobile quarterbacks. How effective do you expect the A&M offense to be Saturday?

HC: I expect the Aggies to have another huge game on the ground. Both Trevor Knight and Trayveon Williams ran wild against an Arkansas team that typically controls the line of scrimmage. South Carolina's defense is not particularly good, and it's definitely more porous than that of both Auburn and Arkansas, teams that A&M had no trouble with. Both Knight and Williams are averaging better than eight yards per carry so far this season, and I don't think they will have any trouble with the Gamecocks.

TDG: Myles Garrett leads an incredible defensive front into Columbia. What can South Carolina do to put up points against the Aggies, who have struggled against the pass this season?

HC: The Aggie defense has been superb so far this year, and I think it poses challenges for South Carolina on multiple fronts. If the Gamecocks want to have any chance to win, they will need to establish a running game. It will be tough, but if the Gamecocks can do that, then they probably still won't be able to win the game, but they will put up some points. If they can consistently gain yards on the ground and force the A&M safeties to sell out and stop the run, then Brandon McIlwain will be able to take advantage of some one-on-one matchups against an Aggie secondary that is vulnerable to the vertical passing game.

TDG: The Aggies have games coming up against Tennessee and Alabama. The Aggies have lost games they should've won in recent years after hot starts. Could this be a trap game?

HC: This could be a trap game, but the thing that cannot be overstated is that this A&M team is different than in year's past. With John Chavis and Noel Mazzone now in as coordinators, the Aggies are a more physical team that can run the ball and stop the run on defense. Those two things are critical to winning in the SEC, which is why I don't think we'll see as much of a drop-off from them down the stretch as we've seen in the past.

TDG: A&M has struggled away from Kyle Field under Kevin Sumlin. How do you expect the team to handle a rowdy Williams-Brice crowd?

HC: I think they'll handle the atmosphere just fine. Say what you want about Trevor Knight's accuracy so far this season, but he is the unquestioned leader of that team, and he's a guy they can look to for leadership if things don't start off well or if they get locked in a close game. Couple that with the Aggies' stifling defense, and I think the Aggies overcome the crowd noise.

TDG: The Aggies are overwhelming favorites to take care of business. What does South Carolina have to do to pull off the upset?

HC: For South Carolina to pull the upset, the South Carolina defense will have to show up in a big way. If they can find a way to shut down the A&M running game and force Knight to beat them through the air, that will be their best chance. If it becomes a high-scoring game where the teams are trading touchdowns, then I think that is advantage A&M because the Gamecocks just don't have the offensive firepower to keep up.