Column: Forget football season, Gamecock fans

Get ready for basketball season, Gamecock fans, because after a 17-10 loss to the Kentucky Wildcats, Will Muschamp and this South Carolina football team likely won’t be headed to a postseason bowl game.

Before the Kentucky game, I said that the Gamecocks had a good chance of finally beating Mark Stoops and the Wildcats. “After three games, Kentucky ranks 112th nationally in passing defense, 116th in rushing defense and 122nd in scoring defense and total defense. These guys give up 528 total yards per game, and this should be music to the ears of quarterback Brandon McIlwain and the offense,” was my exact quote.

Take a look at the box score. South Carolina’s offense made one of America’s worst defenses look like a feared bunch in front of the delighted home fans at Commonwealth Stadium.

Brandon McIlwain only completed 50 percent of his passes, going 15-30 for 177 passing yards, along with 11 yards of rushing on the night. To add to that, running backs A.J. Turner and David Williams only combined for 75 yards on the ground.

Most South Carolina fans were likely angry or frustrated after a third consecutive loss to a struggling Kentucky team. Each of those years, the Gamecocks should’ve beaten the division rival they’ve historically excelled against.

But the truth is this: South Carolina will have an improved team in 2016, but their win-loss record might not show it. The defense is better, as opponents have only averaged 17.3 points per game heading into the season’s fifth week. Unfortunately for Gamecock fans, the offense lags far behind.

Improvement in the win column should grow in 2017, because three things are set to happen: The young offense gains another year of experience, the defense returns linebacker Skai Moore and the recruiting class has 23 signees and is currently ranked 12th in the nation according to ESPN. If Will Muschamp can do anything, he can recruit.

With upcoming games against No. 9 Texas A&M, No. 25 Georgia, No. 11 Tennessee, No. 23 Florida and No. 5 Clemson, South Carolina will likely only be favored in two more games: against Massachusetts and Western Carolina.

Maybe the Gamecocks can pull an upset over Georgia or Florida, but the likelihood of going 6-6 isn’t looking good. According to SB Nation’s Bill Connelly, South Carolina has a 24.1 percent chance of reaching the magic number of going to a bowl game.

It’ll be a year of growing pains and frustration, and a loss to Kentucky is unbearable. But even after a loss to the Wildcats, signs look good for the future. In the meantime, just enjoy the tailgate and the awesome Williams-Brice Stadium atmosphere, and remember that basketball season is right around the corner, and baseball season comes right after that.