Column: Gamecock bowl chances nearing zero

South Carolina's schedule was set up fairly well for Will Muschamp's team to start the season on a strong note before really getting into the gauntlet of October and November. Unfortunately for the Gamecock faithful, South Carolina squandered opportunities for key SEC victories against Mississippi State, making the likelihood of a bowl bid incredibly low.

The Gamecocks now need to win four of their next eight games, five of which come against ranked opponents, not to mention a matchup with a Missouri team that looks stronger than anticipated. South Carolina has the benefit of a Williams-Brice crowd in six of those eight contests, but that can really only account for so much.

It's reasonable to assume the Gamecocks will take care of business against Massachusetts and Western Carolina, which would bring the team to four wins. However, it's tough to find two opponents out of Texas A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Florida and Clemson that I can confidently say South Carolina will beat. Is it possible? Sure. But the more time it takes for the Gamecocks to come up with their first upset win, the more unlikely bowl eligibility becomes.

Let's take a look at those six key matchups one at a time.

Oct. 1 vs. Texas A&M

The Aggies already have wins over UCLA, Auburn and Arkansas this season, and the offense is rolling through the air and on the ground. The Gamecocks showed their weakness against the run last week against Kentucky, and considering Texas A&M averages 7 yards per carry this season, it's hard to imagine the Aggies will have any trouble moving the ball. Plus, the A&M defensive front, led by standout Myles Garrett, is one of the best in the SEC if not the country. This doesn't seem like a potential South Carolina upset.

Oct. 8 vs. Georgia

Georgia has lost its last three games in Williams-Brice Stadium, and the 2012 matchup showed exactly how much of an impact the Gamecock fan base can have. With a 7:30 kickoff time, it's reasonable to expect a rowdy crowd, which could make things tough for the Bulldogs' freshman quarterback Jacob Eason. Georgia has looked vulnerable all season, winning its first three games by 10 points before getting annihilated by Ole Miss. With the intensity of a late-night rivalry game at home coupled with the fact that the Bulldogs haven't put it all together yet, it's possible the Gamecocks extend the streak to four straight home wins over their SEC East rivals.

Oct. 29 vs. Tennessee

Those of you who have read my columns or follow me on Twitter know how I feel about the Volunteers, but I must admit, they are resilient. Tennessee was clicking on both sides of the ball in the second half against Florida. The Vols have a bye before making the trip to Columbia, and South Carolina's loss to Mississippi State proved how much the Gamecocks struggle against mobile quarterbacks. Joshua Dobbs is one of the best runners in the SEC, and I would expect him and the Vols to run all over the place against the South Carolina defense.

Nov. 5 vs. Missouri

Coming into the season, I was confident South Carolina would win this game, but Missouri quarterback Drew Lock has looked like a completely different player this fall. The Tigers nearly upset Georgia, and the offense has dominated lesser competition, for whatever that's worth. Regardless, Missouri is in a rebuilding year as well, and of the six games on this list, this is the one the Gamecocks have the best chance to win.

Nov. 12 at Florida

Will Muschamp's return to Gainesville will provide an interesting storyline, as Florida's blown lead against the Gamecocks in 2014 cost the former Gator coach his job. Florida still has something that only vaguely represents an offense, but defensively, the Gators are top notch. Points will certainly be at a premium for South Carolina in this one, but a couple of big plays could swing the score in the Gamecocks' favor. Because of Florida's struggling offense, there's certainly a chance South Carolina could make it happen, but the Gamecocks would need to win the turnover battle and create big plays.

Nov. 26 at Clemson

There's just no chance. Not on the road against one of the best offenses in the country.

In summary, if South Carolina is going to get to six wins, a win over Georgia is imperative. The Gamecocks have a decent chance against both Florida and Missouri, but a win over Texas A&M, Tennessee or Clemson seems like a stretch. To reach bowl eligibility (and bring Darius Rucker to the Horseshoe), South Carolina must upset Georgia, and then pull out a win against Missouri or Florida. It's possible, but unlikely. Lose against Texas A&M and Georgia at home, and it's safe to assume the season will be over after the trip to Clemson.