McIlwain impresses in starting debut, captains South Carolina to win

USC vs. ECU
USC vs. ECU

South Carolina’s 20-15 win over ECU marked freshman Brandon McIlwain’s first start in his South Carolina career. However, player and coach comments on the young quarterback’s performance didn’t reflect this.

“Brandon did an outstanding job. He really did,” senior offensive lineman Mason Zandi said. “Coming in as a true freshman, he had poise and leadership. I really appreciate what he did today.”

Head Coach Will Muschamp and linebacker T.J. Holloman also commented on McIlwain’s maturity and mentality.

McIlwain demonstrated his significance to the Gamecock offense early when he scored their first touchdown with a nine yard run.

Before the first quarter was halfway done, McIlwain had already scored both of the Gamecock’s touchdowns on runs.

Muschamp and Co-Offensive Coordinator Kurt Roper made the decision to start McIlwain against the Pirates last Sunday following the Gamecocks’ 27-14 loss to Mississippi State.

“It was not a slam on Perry Orth at all, we needed legs from the quarterback position this time for where we are in our offense,” Muschamp said.

McIlwain provided the run game that Muschamp had wanted. Only runningback David Williams outrushed McIlwain, who ran for 28 yards.

The new starter’s performance varied more in terms of passing. McIlwain’s 57 percent pass completion rate paled in comparison to ECU quarterback Philip Nelson’s 76 percent.

Muschamp said that most of McIlwain’s struggles passing came from overstriving. However, he praised the quarterback’s ability to throw deep passes.

McIlwain possesses many of the intangibles necessary to become a strong quarterback, Muschamp noted. 

“He doesn’t get phased by a lot and in the spring game I was extremely impressed by his poise and how he came in and handled himself,” Muschamp said. “He continues to work at it. He’s got a very good work ethic. He’s extremely intelligent.”

Muschamp announced in his press conference that Brandon McIlwain will be Gamecock starting quarterback going forward.