Muschamp has pieces to rejuvenate defense

There’s a lot that needs to be improved for the 2016 football season after all of the struggles from last season. One thing that really needs to be worked on is within the defense — specifically, their pass rush. South Carolina’s defense was one of the weakest in the SEC in 2015 and contributed to most of their problems. New head coach Will Muschamp was most recently the head coach at Florida and the defensive coordinator at Auburn and is noted for turning around struggling defenses.

Defensive end Marquavuis Lewis is one player who can step it up to make a difference on the line. Lewis made a splash last season as one of the few who started every game, but is expected to make more of an impact this year. He ranked sixth among the Gamecocks in tackles with 45 while finishing second in sacks with three. After getting that experience in the SEC and there being so many changes coming this year, Lewis can be a leader and guide the young guys.

Another player that could bring some experience to the team is defensive back Jordan Diggs. Diggs may be limited in playing time this year as he had shoulder surgery in the offseason, but he is one of the most experienced players heading into the season. He ranked fifth on the team in tackles, recording 48 on the year. He has 115 career tackles with just one interception. Whether Diggs will be healthy for the season is questionable, but, with a team of a lot of newcomers, the veteran experience is much needed.

With majority of the defensive line graduating, young players will see a lot more action this season. One true freshman who can make a splash for the Gamecocks is lineman Jajuan Blankenship. A recent graduate from T.L. Hanna, Blankenship recorded 59 tackles and 6.5 sacks in his last year, totaling 148 tackles and 10.5 sacks in his high school career.

The changes that are coming this season can really help the Gamecocks in their pass rush. There are only a few players on defense who really saw much playing time in 2015, so it will be a new look and feel. As many of the defensive line and backs are freshmen or new to Carolina, along with Muschamp, they can all make a big difference in an area that has not been good.