Former Gamecock Taylor Widener returns to Columbia for game against Fireflies

<p>Taylor Widener pitched three seasons for the Gamecocks with a career ERA of 3.59 and eight career wins.</p>
Taylor Widener pitched three seasons for the Gamecocks with a career ERA of 3.59 and eight career wins.

As professional baseball is beginning to wrap up its 2016 season, one player is ending where his college career started.

Right-handed pitcher Taylor Widener is making his way back to Columbia this weekend for the final series of the Single-A regular season. Widener was the New York Yankees 12th round pick, 368 overall, in the 2016 draft. He decided to forgo his senior year and sign with the Bronx Bombers.

“It’s really exciting for me. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun to finish my first professional regular season in Columbia. Hopefully we’ll have some fans here who still like me.”

He joined former teammate Dom Thompson-Williams on the Staten Island Yankees team to start things off. Going from college to professional teammates immediately was comforting to them both.

“It was nice to know that I was already going to have a friend on the team. We were both really excited about being able to play together again.”

Widener made six appearances there, recording two wins and posting an outstanding 0.00 ERA. He gave up just two hits while walking four and striking out 25, giving him a 0.39 WHIP.

His dazzling performances promoted him to Single-A Charleston. In six appearances with the RiverDogs, he’s notched three saves and a 0.95 ERA, with 27 strikeouts.

Widener has spent his whole life in South Carolina, growing up in Aiken and attending South Aiken High School. Returning to Columbia holds a special place in his heart, where he spent three great seasons with the Gamecocks. Being able to continue his professional career in South Carolina has meant a lot to him too.

“It’s been really nice being back here, and Charleston is a great place to be. The guys on the team are a lot of fun to be with. I’m sure my parents love it, it’s a lot easier for them to travel down here then to fly up to Staten Island.”

Widener is excited to see the outcome at the Fireflies stadium. There was always a great feel and atmosphere during his time at Founders, and he hopes it’s a similar feeling at Spirit Communications.

“Fireflies have a really nice stadium and I’m sure it will be a lot of the same fans that came out to Columbia, so I think it will be a fun atmosphere.”

Widener heads to the mound for the RiverDogs in game two of Sunday’s doubleheader, looking for one final win to end his first professional season.