Widener thrives in return to Columbia

<p>Widener was drafted in the 12th round of the MLB Draft by the New York Yankees and now plays for their A affiliate team, the Charleston RiverDogs.</p>
Widener was drafted in the 12th round of the MLB Draft by the New York Yankees and now plays for their A affiliate team, the Charleston RiverDogs.

Taylor Widener felt right at home pitching Sunday night for the Charleston RiverDogs. As he took the field in Columbia for the first time since the Gamecocks’ postseason run ended in June, he was not playing for the town he called home for the past three years. Although he was pitching against the Fireflies, he felt welcome by the home crowd — as if he were back at Founders Park.

“Honestly, it reminds me a lot of South Carolina," Widener said. "I think the structure of the stadium is built a lot like South Carolina’s field. It was kind of comforting. It was like I was playing back at South Carolina."

Widener had another terrific starting, giving up just one hit and no runs while walking just one and whiffing seven over four innings. He bettered his regular season ERA to 0.78, totaling 34 strikeouts over 23 innings during his time in Single-A. Widener’s strong start helped position the RiverDogs to get the 4-1 win over the Fireflies.

“It felt good," he said. "It’s always welcoming. Whenever I first got out there last night, I came out for the first few innings of the first game, and I heard some people yelling my name. It’s always exciting to hear that."

Widener also mentioned that he felt the connections to the South Carolina fans. With the Fireflies being the closest thing Columbia residents have to a major baseball team, many were there and happy to see Widener back in the City of Dreams.

“I think there were definitely some Gamecock fans out there," he said. "I talked to some people before and after the game, so it was nice to have some people that are still following me."

Charleston is rounding out its 2016 regular season playing in Columbia with its last game Monday night. Widener is ready to see what lies ahead.

“It’s a great opportunity to play for an organization that’s as good as the Yankees," he said. "I have no complaints at all. I’ve had a bunch of fun so far."

The RiverDogs had the best record in their division in the first half of the season, putting them in postseason play. Widener is anxiously preparing for his first professional postseason appearance, hoping the RiverDogs make it farther than the Gamecocks did over the summer.

“I think it’s going to be very exciting," he said. "I’m pitching in game two of the playoffs, so that’s going to be exciting that will I get to experience the atmosphere of a professional playoff game. It's just another game that I have to go out and pitch and give our team the best chance to win.”

The South Athletic League playoffs begin Sept. 7. Widener is scheduled to make his first postseason appearance in relief during the second game.