Goodwill Punting: Quiz for picking a 2016 World Series team

Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Jake Arrieta works against the Los Angeles Dodgers in the first inning during Game 3 of the National League Championship Series at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2016. (Nuccio DiNuzzo/Chicago Tribune/TNS)

The Cubs famously have failed to win a World Series since 1908. The Indians were last World Champions in 1948. Their fanbases have endured a combined 176 years of suffering. You can jump on the bandwagon right now.

Maybe you're a Braves fan and the 2016 MLB season became irrelevant for you in April. Maybe you aren't even a baseball fan at all and you just want to impress your friends. But if you don't have any rooting interest in the 2016 World Series, here is a quiz to help you pick a team to pull for.

1. Most iconic NBA player of all time: Michael Jordan or LeBron James?

A. Jordan (add two) — MJ propelled the Chicago Bulls to six NBA Championships, easing the pain of Chicago sports fans for at least part of the year. However, he briefly attempted a professional baseball career playing for a minor league affiliate of the White Sox, the Cubs' crosstown rivals.

B. James (subtract two) — James ended Cleveland's 52-year professional championship drought by lifting the Cavaliers over the Golden State Warriors in the 2016 NBA Finals. James actually grew up a Yankees fan, but has been one of the Indians' biggest supporters this postseason.

2. True of False? Nine-inning baseball games are too long.

A. True (subtract two) — Indians' manager Terry Francona has effectively engineered a way to turn games into six-inning affairs by maximizing the innings of his two shutdown relievers Cody Allen and Andrew Miller. Miller and Allen have combined for 19 1/3 scoreless innings this October and have struck out nearly half the batters they have faced.

B. False (add two) — Chicago's closer Aroldis Chapman, who can touch 105 MPH with his fastball, is no slouch either, but the Cubs have already played four one-run games this postseason. They also possess one of the most dynamic young offenses in baseball, making it a treat to watch them make multiple trips through the order.

3. Do you think that sports teams that have used Native Americans as mascots or in their logos throughout their history should be able to continue to use them?

A. No, it's offensive. (add two) — The Indians' Chief Wahoo logo is viewed by many as insensitive toward the Native American community.

B. Yes, it is tradition. (subtract two) — Cleveland is not alone in their use of Native American mascots. Other professional sports franchises represented by Native American imagery include the Atlanta Braves, the Washington Redskins, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Blackhawks.

4. If you had to revert to your second choice and attend a school other than South Carolina, would you fall back on Yale or Georgetown?

A. Yale (add two) — Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein, Yale class of '95, is regarded as one of the most forward-thinking minds in the game. As general manager for the Boston Red Sox,  he won the World Series in 2004 and 2007.

B. Georgetown (subtract two) — The Indians' front office is headed by Chris Antonetti, who received a Bachelor's in business administration from Georgetown.

5. Favorite fictional baseball ace: Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn or Henry Rowengartner?

A. Vaughn (subtract two) — "Wild Thing," from the 1989 classic "Major League," is one of the most immortalized sports figures that Hollywood has ever created. Charlie Sheen, who played Vaughn in the film, has been campaigning to throw out the first pitch during an Indians' home game during the series The Indians have declined his request, so apparently they don't need any #Tigerblood to be #Winning.

B. Rowengartner (add two) — Rowengartner went from middle-schooler to the Cubs' No. 1 starter in "Rookie of the Year." Fortunately for the real-life Cubs, they won't have to rely on Rowengartner with a trio of aces in Jake Arrieta, Jon Lester and Kyle Hendricks.

Results

Positive Score: Fly the W! Adopt the Cubs as your team for the series.

Negative Score: Welcome to the party at Napoli's, you should root for the Tribe. The Cubs can suffer a little longer. What's another year?