A Letter to Leonardo DiCaprio

Leonardo DiCaprio arrives at the 88th Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016, at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. (Sthanlee B. Mirador/Sipa USA/TNS)

Dear Leonardo DiCaprio,

How’s it going, man? Your 2016 has been crazy so far, what with your Oscar win and your climate change documentary “Before the Flood” about to air, and you probably spoke to at least one Victoria Secret model which, in my mind, makes a pretty good year. Yet I digress. I wanted to talk to you about something personal that you may not be up for but certainly would make you the apple of the world’s eye for generations to come. The other day I found out you are producing a new “Captain Planet” movie. That is awesome! It’s the perfect project for you to get others involved with climate change awareness and prevention. However, I just have one small request that would make your movie and your message a whole lot more interesting: Please play the role of Captain Planet in the new movie.

I do not think you realize the potential of the situation you are in right now. Currently, you are arguably the biggest movie star on Earth, with your films in recent years growing in selectivity and quality. You have the power to do literally whatever movie you decide to be in and the rest of the industry adjusts to your decisions. You have been pretty vocal in your climate change discussions, and you have been involved in many documentaries showing the dangers we face now. Now you have the opportunity to do something you have never done before: star in a franchise! It would be perfect. I know you were in talks of playing Robin in “Batman Forever” and Anakin Skywalker in the “Star Wars” prequels, now this is a chance to do all of that, but still stay true to your goal in helping us see the values of going green.  

You can’t just be the producer of “Captain Planet,” you need to walk the walk and take this role of a lifetime. You are Captain Planet! People will wait outside the theaters for hours to see you in tights, with your blue face and green hair, preaching about the joys of recycling. I know this kind of role may seem ridiculous now that you are an Oscar winner and are trying to figure out your next role with the utmost care, and I respect that. But for all of the kids who watched “Captain Planet” growing up, this would be a dream come true. You can defy everyone’s expectations of yourself by putting on the unorthodox character of Captain Planet towards a more grounded, acceptable approach. You can do the absolute ridiculous and take a hold of this project that has been calling your name for far too long. I hope you make the right call, Captain(?).

Sincerely,

(Hopefully) everyone