Healthy Deebo Samuel reduces pressure of young quarterbacks

Deebo Samuel came to the University of South Carolina hurt, hampered by a hamstring injury he suffered in high school, and took a season off to redshirt. Then, Samuel played his redshirt freshman year while hurt. He flashed his ability in the final game of last season against Clemson when he had five catches for just over 100 yards and his first career touchdown.

This season Samuel has yet again had to play through injury, but his talent shines through regardless. His longest play of the day was a 47-yard screen pass in the first quarter that meant even more to South Carolina than just racking up a big gain. It was a play that helped freshman quarterback Jake Bentley settle into the game in his collegiate debut. It served as a pillar of confidence for the young quarterback. Samuel did what he needed to do as the team’s most experienced wide receiver.

Samuel’s problem has never been his ability, and he has never struggled with issues off of the field. No, for Samuel it has always been his health.

He played in just five games last season and has already missed three out of seven games so far this year. However, Samuel has now started in two consecutive games and in that span now has 12 catches for 196 yards and one rushing touchdown.

The coming weeks may be the most important that Samuel has experienced so far as a Gamecock. He will be counted on to be the security blanket for Bentley as the Gamecocks go up against some of the toughest teams in the SEC and the country in the form of Tennessee, Florida and Clemson.

Most of Samuel’s 16 receptions this year have come in the form of screen passes, and with Bentley at quarterback look for that trend  to continue. 

Expect Samuel to get the ball in space often in the coming weeks in the form of screens, handoffs or any other way imaginable. The dynamic of South Carolina's offense simply changes when Samuel is getting touches.