2016 Parents Weekend Letter from Student Body President

Dear Carolina Family,

Happy Parents Weekend! On behalf of our student body, welcome to the beautiful campus that we call home. I am so excited to welcome thousands of members of the extended Carolina community not only onto our campus, but into our state’s capital city. With the first five weeks of the fall semester already behind us (which is hard to believe), I’m sure your student is excited to see you.

Parents, I encourage you to have the full Carolinian experience this weekend — join us in kicking off the first home game of the season in Williams-Brice Stadium, visit the historically-revered Horseshoe, eat at some of the city’s top-notch restaurants and explore the beauty of our campus and surrounding areas (I would recommend the Statehouse grounds, personally).

The journey your son or daughter is enduring — the unforgettable intersection of academic rigor, leadership development and social interaction — is truly a special one, and I trust that your glimpse into what being a student at the University of South Carolina is, is fulfilling and insightful. As my tenure as a UofSC undergraduate comes to an inevitable ending this spring, I can unabashedly admit that I wish that there was a reset button to do it all over again. The short portion of time that we, as students, spend on this campus contributes to the sculpting of our character and identity in unimaginable ways.

Again, welcome to our state’s beloved flagship university, we’re thrilled to have you on campus this weekend. Spurs Up!

For Carolina,

Michael R. Parks

Student Body President