Column: Republicans appeal to fear, not reason

Both on the national and the local level, perhaps the defining characteristic of the Republican platform this election cycle has been an appeal to fear: fear of a weakening America, fear of free trade, fear of certain religions, fear for homeland security. The proposed solutions are as outlandish as the problems they aim to solve, from high-tariff protectionism to refusing immigrants on the basis of religion. On careful examination, they just don't hold water.

Living a little shy of four miles from the Kansas-Missouri border, I have frequently seen commercials for the Missouri candidates for office this election. As nasty as political commercials often are, I have been astounded by the sensationalized claims and appeals to ignorance that have surfaced in this year’s Republican pleas for office. A certain ad making the rounds across televisions made me burn on the inside, but not for its desired reason, nor the reason that it will likely do the same for many others that view it.

The ad concludes, “Josh Hawley worked for a terrorist; he should never work for Missouri,” but not before declaring that he “sued law enforcement so Mohammed could practice radical Islam.” Mr. Hawley is a candidate for the state’s attorney general who once worked for a firm that fought for the liberty of all faiths. Mohammed is a Muslim man from Arkansas who has spoken of waging jihad and is currently serving time in federal prison for cutting his girlfriend’s throat. In a case that Hawley wasn’t even involved with, his firm successfully argued to the Supreme Court for the man’s right to grow a half-inch beard in prison for religious reasons. According to Republican sponsors in Missouri, this equates to Hawley supporting terrorism.

The unfortunate truth is that this ad will find a large audience across the state. In such a turbulent political atmosphere, Americans are returning to fear-inspired sweeping action against a certain group that has spurred some of the most appalling prejudice and misunderstanding throughout history. The nation is reeling from what some are calling its largest terrorist attack in 15 years, pushing anti-Muslim sentiments to new highs, buffeted by statements from presidential candidates and the belief that the current president isn’t doing enough to address the issue. Does this ad, however, depict the new lows to which the American regard for civil liberty, freedom of speech and reason have fallen?

Even if the plaintiff of this case was a practitioner of a radicalized sect of his faith, the verdict is a First Amendment triumph. The man’s beard was a fundamental part of his religion, a belief held by millions of other men of his faith who harbor no hate towards those of other faiths. This beard, limited to only half an inch, will not affect the prisoners around it in the slightest, but allows its wearer to fully express his faith. Its effect on others is no more than that of the large tattoo of a cross on a different inmate’s back.

It is worrying that a trial that fought for the religious freedom of a man, a constitutional guarantee, can be so twisted to claim that a Missouri candidate, well-removed from the case, is a supporter of terrorism.

Yet this is the political climate of 2016 and the dangerous reality of a populace opposed to scrutinizing the truth behind claims or removing themselves from passion in order to let critical thinking break down faulty arguments. In this year, more than ever, American voters must not allow politicians to play with passion at the expense of certain groups, or the country could be headed down a path of dangerous precedent.