Gamecocks control paint in win over SC State

After an opening three-point basket by South Carolina State, South Carolina responded with an 11-0 run and never looked back as they cruised to their fourth win on the season.

The Gamecocks shot the ball well during the first half. Shooting 55.9 percent from the floor and 42.9 percent from beyond the arc, the Gamecocks scored their highest total of first half points on the year. Led by senior guard Sindarius Thornwell with 16 points, the Gamecocks had nine different players score to take a 50-25 lead at the break.

It was more of the same in the second half, as the Gamecocks executed both on offense and defense en route to a 92-50 victory. 

Defense starts strong

The Gamecocks' defense held South Carolina State to only 25 points in each half.

“We pressured them,” said senior guard Sindarius Thornwell. “We made them try to score from half court. We took them out of what they wanted to run."

Forcing 14 turnovers and holding the Bulldogs to a 30.8 shooting percent from the floor, the Gamecocks were able to get the fast break going with 14 points. South Carolina turned those 14 Bulldog turnovers into 23 points. The Gamecocks also added nine blocks and six steals.

Gamecocks stay out of foul trouble, control the paint

After sending Monmouth to the free-throw line 27 times on 22 fouls in their last game, South Carolina held the Bulldogs to only 21 free-throw attempts with 17 fouls. The Majority of those fouls occurred in the final five minutes with the Gamecock bench on the floor. Forwards Maik Kotsar and Chris Silva were both able to stay out of foul trouble for the first time this season, allowing the Gamecocks to win the battle in the paint. 

“It was good to see us play active on the glass and at the rim,” said head coach Frank Martin. “That’s one thing I have been a little disappointed with our team after the first three games."

The effort showed as the Gamecocks out-rebounded the Bulldogs 47 to 24 and out-scored them in the paint 44-12. Kotsar scored his season high with 15 points, shooting 7 for 7 from the floor. 

“If we can keep him out of foul trouble, Maik (Kotsar) is going to be a real good player for us.”

Silva tied his season high with 11 points before exiting mid-way through the second half with an injury.

Boost from the Bench

The Gamecocks benefited from their depth against South Carolina State. South Carolina had a season high with 31 points off the bench. 

Coach Martin pointed out guard Hassani Gravett as being a key contributor:

“Hassani continues to grow. Hassani has the ability to score,” said Martin.

Gravett scored a season high 10 points. 

Next up for the Gameocks is a home game Wednesday at 5 p.m. against Michigan.