Leadership and Service Center aims to assist Midlands underfed and homeless

With Thanksgiving only a week away, USC’s Leadership and Service Center is honoring those less fortunate with Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.

Despite the title, events seeking to raise consciousness on the USC campus of local poverty take place throughout the month of November. This year, the week will also touch upon one of Carolina’s oldest rivalries.

Luis Sierra, a leadership coach for the LSC, said the importance of the week overall lies with what students take away from the events.

“It’s very easy to get caught up with the things that are going on in our lives,” Sierra said. Sierra hopes students and faculty alike will become more aware of how they can get involved in their community. 

As part of Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, the LSC hosted a number of pre-events, including the Oxfam Hunger Banquet and Polar Run 5K, the latter of which collected used clothing for the Salvation Army of the Midlands. The week officially began with the final Service Saturday of the semester on Nov. 12.

All these and more led up to Wednesday night’s event, a speech by Nancy Lublin made as part of LSC’s Momentum Series. Lublin is the founder and CEO of Crisis Text Line, a crisis intervention service accessible via text message 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In keeping with the week’s giving motif, Lublin spoke about the importance of philanthropy in the modern world. 

Sierra and the rest of the LSC were very satisfied with the results of the most recent Service Saturday, which was designated as an official Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week event.  According to LSC graduate assistant Mike Lifavi, all 211 spots made available for Nov. 12 were filled. Some students had to join the waitlist instead. 

“It was really cool to see so late in the semester, so many people still come out and want to serve,” Lifavi said.  He encouraged those who were waitlisted to come out for LSC’s Impact Weekly events, the next of which takes place Friday afternoon at the Lexington Interfaith Community Center. 

If students wish to continue volunteering after the end of the week, Sierra said, there are many opportunities available. He mentioned Homeless Helping Homeless as a good local organization for students and encouraged those interested to visit the LSC to obtain more information. 

Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week continues Thursday night with Gamecocks Fighting Hunger, hosted by University 201 and Sustainable Carolina. The event, which seeks to package 25,000 meals for families in the Columbia area, begins in the Bates West Social Room at 6 p.m.

There is also a new way for students to give back while engaging in friendly competition on Nov. 21: Tiger Burn.

With fellow Tiger Burn Committee members, Lifavi decided to make this year’s event the final collection point for the ongoing Palmetto Series food drive.  Immediately following Tiger Burn, all cans collected for the drive will be transported to Harvest Hope Food Bank, and the final count will be recorded. 

Additionally, students can bring new or slightly used clothing to Carolina Styles on the third floor of Russell House for a discounted haircut through Nov. 30.