In Brief: 11/21/16

USC trustees approve bronze Cocky statue

Pending final approval from the full board of trustees, a bronze, life-sized statue of USC mascot Cocky may sit on a campus bench in 2017. The $85,000 Cocky is planned to be on a bench near the Melton Observatory. Vice President of Student Affairs Dennis Pruitt says $25,000 have already been raised toward the project. He also expects the statue and bench to become an "iconic" spot on campus. 

Suspect sought in Columbia shooting

Richland County deputies are seeking a suspect in a shooting that left one injured, The State reports. The incident occurred at about 3 a.m. Sunday morning near the 7100 block of Parklane Road. Curtis Wilson, Richland County Sheriff's Department spokesman, said a vehicle pulled up to the pedestrian victim. The victim reportedly fled after someone in the car told him or her to get inside, and the suspect then fired from a handgun several times. The victim, who was shot in the lower body, was taken to a local hospital.

Man arrested after car chase, had children in car

South Carolina Highway Patrol arrested and charged a man after he led them on a high-speed chase, WIS reports. They attempted to pull over 32-year-old Okeema Williams on I-26 westbound, but Williams then led them on a chase until he crashed on I-77 southbound. According to troopers, there were three other people in Williams' car, including two children. All three passengers were taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Williams is jailed and charged with speeding, failure to stop for blue lights and driving under suspension. The incident is under investigation by the Richland County Sheriff's Department.