Marcus Lattimore promoted to head coach at Heathwood Hall

It's been just over four years since legendary South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore played his last snap as a player, but he will now embark on a career as the varsity football coach for Heathwood Hall.

South Carolina's record-holder for career touchdowns demonstrated his aptitude for coaching by guiding the program's middle-school team to a championship season after the team went winless in the previous two seasons. He also assisted as the running backs coach for the varsity team.

"We are extremely pleased that Marcus has accepted our offer to become our head football coach and a member of our staff at Heathwood," athletic director Jeff Whalen said. 

"The sport of football has provided me with a platform to motivate and inspire thousands of kids over the years," Lattimore said, "and this will give me an opportunity on a daily basis to continue to make an impact on the lives of our young men." 

Lattimore will replace coach Steve Victory, who will move back to Louisiana in preparation for the birth of his first child. The Highlanders struggled in Victory's two seasons at the helm.

Before taking his initial position at Heathwood, Lattimore was slated to join Will Muschamp as an ambassador to South Carolina's football program. The NCAA declared that this would give the Gamecocks an unfair advantage in recruiting because of the football camps that Lattimore also directs. 

Lattimore will officially take over on Jan. 16 of next year.

While injuries prematurely derailed Lattimore's playing career, this promotion could prove to be a launching pad for his second occupation.