Mikayla Shields acclimating quickly to college play

Mikayla Shields didn’t always consider volleyball her first love. In fact, it was track and field that first stole her heart. Shields’ parents were both record holding track and field athletes at the University of Pittsburgh, a love that they passed on to their daughter. However, the young athlete soon found a passion for the sport she now represents the Gamecocks in.

Shields played not only for her high school but club volleyball teams around her hometown as well. She began her career at 12, an age some may consider older than most when getting involved in a sport. The freshman credits her parents with being her driving force for her athletic endeavors that helped mold her into the person and athlete she is today.

“They've taught me to expect a lot from myself," Shields said. "They’ve always told me to be great, and to be great in that moment."

The outside hitter, who previously played for Lake Nona High School in Florida, ran track for a full four years of high school — something she hopes to continue in college. For now, her sport focus is on her volleyball team. Not even a full season in, the young player has caught the attention of fans and fellow athletes alike with her powerful, dedicated brand of play and positive personality that shows on and off the court.

A dominant player on the court, Shields is paving the way in stats for the season. In Sunday’s upset win over Missouri, Shields led the match in overall kills for the Gamecocks with 17 . This marked South Carolina's first win over a top 25 team in ten seasons. Shields currently leads in the season with kills for the Gamecocks, racking up a total of 283 thus far.

Shields stands out as a defensive player as well. In Sunday’s major win against Missouri, Shields totaled 14 digs in the match, placing her just behind senior Koko Atoa-Williams for most digs in the match for the Gamecocks. Shields has compiled 87 digs on the season, ranking her sixth overall on the team.

The Florida native has worked a great deal to adjust to the quicker pace of collegiate play.

“The game is a lot faster, and it’s a lot smarter,” Shields said. "The girls are taller, and bigger and better."

Even so, Shields cites the support from her teammates as being the biggest factor in her play.

“I think with this team, we’re sisters ... we’re more than just players," Shields said.

Overall, the Gamecocks stand at 18-8 for the season, placing them sixth in the SEC. The team boasts a total of 56 sets and 2,085 points won.

Shields and her fellow Gamecocks will be back on the court Nov. 18 to take on Alabama at 7 p.m. at the Carolina Volleyball Center, looking to ride the momentum of their upset win.